Thirty-Six

Harry

"Jess? Are you listening to me?" I whined as I finished packing the stuff I planned to take to LA tomorrow night. She'd been busy working for the last few hours and I knew it was childish but I wanted her attention.

"Hmm..." She replied, licking her lips before pulling her bottom lip into her mouth while she concentrated even more on the screen in front of her.

"What did I say then?" I pouted even though her eyes were fixed on her laptop.

"You should take the blue shirt, not the grey one. You're hot in blue." She waved her hand in frustration at my distraction.

"Jessi..." I whined. "I literally asked you about that an hour ago. You haven't been listening at all!" Her eyes hadn't even so much as flickered from the screen and I snapped. "Fine. Maybe I'll just go to LA right now!" And I stomped my foot on the floor for good measure. But it worked, her eyes snapped to mine in seconds.

"Jesus, H! Could you be any more like a child right now?" She sighed. "I know I've been tuning you out a bit -"

"A bit? You haven't heard anything I've said in the past hour and barely anything before that." I yelled even although I hadn't meant to.

"I don't think I've ever seen you this pouty before." She smirked at me and I crossed my arms across my chest confirming her point. "Now, are you going to let me explain?" I could tell she was trying not to laugh which just made me angrier, I didn't think it was very funny but I nodded for her to continue.

"I have to finish this for tomorrow and it's taking longer than usual because there are three jobs to work through since I squeezed tomorrow's appointments in today so I could have the day off. I could work on it a little at a time tonight and tomorrow or I can get it all out of the way now and then you can have my undivided attention for the rest of the time before you have to go to L.A.?" I looked down at the floor sheepishly. Here was me throwing a tantrum and all along she'd been moving around her schedule for me. I don't think anyone I'd dated before truly made space for me in their lives. My life seemed to be an inconvenience for them most of the time, either that or they were way too eager to follow me around and a woman with no life or goals of her own wasn't where I saw my future. I was well aware that Jess didn't need me in her life which is why I got butterflies in my stomach when she showed she wanted me there.

"I'm almost done. I promise." Her fingers brushed my thigh and I could feel myself unwind.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you." I climbed onto the bed beside her and rested my head against her thigh.

"It's alright. I probably should've explained." She whispered while her fingers stroked through my hair. It felt like all the frustration and tension was being drained from my body. This was the woman I was supposed to be with. I could feel it in my bones.

-----

"Okay. All done!" Jessi's chirpy voice startled me from my contented silence. "Sorry, Severus!" She chuckled, I guess I wasn't the only one she startled. "So tell me again about that party? Friday, did you say? Do you wanna walk and talk? I think my legs could do with stretching." Her brain was going at full tilt while mine struggled to keep up.

"Hey, so you were listening?" I sat up and stretched as I yawned.

"I caught pieces. You're hard to ignore," She kissed my cheek as she stood up. "Walk?"

"Jog?" I countered. "I feel like I could use some exercise, I think I'm getting flabby." I poked my stomach.

"Fine, but you know I hate running and you're not getting flabby." She giggled as she headed to the wardrobe. As I watched her get changed into her running clothes, I was in the mood for a different kind of exercise but I pushed those thoughts from my mind. I really could use a run and I already had Jeffrey looking into finding a sparring partner while I was in New York.