Sidetrack 1: Been so long

The necklace was cold on my chest. It was so cold that it seemed to be searing against my bare skin.

"Don't tell me that you're not going to stand yet?" My mom told me after a loud bang of my room's door.

"I'm sorry ma, I've overslept." I apologized as I rubbed the sleep off my eyes.

"What's new? Get up already!" My mom insisted.

"Khap ma." I answered.

It was Monday. Three exact years after I graduated from High school. I tried applying for a scholarship grant for the past two years but I didn't get any. Actually, today's the result of the examination that I applied for two months ago, but I'm not expecting.

I've been doing the same thing for three years now. Waking up early. Preparing the recipes that my mom would be needing and go to the market to sell the dishes that my mom cooked in one of the stalls there. At midnight I'll help mom to tidy things up and go back home then sleep. Then the same thing happens the next day.

Seven in the midnight that day, while I was closing the door of our stall, a familiar voice startled me.

"Why aren't you preparing your things yet? Don't you wanna move?" He said.

I faced back and smiled wildly. He was wearing his school uniform and was looking really tired.

"P'Keeeeeeeen!" I shouted. "Why are you here?"

"Why? Fetch you of course. I don't want you to be late on your first day of school next week." He explained.

"What? School?" I wondered.

P'Ken raised a piece of paper and made me look at it. I couldn't believe it! I passed this time! Finally! A scholarship grant!

Over my excitement, I hugged P'Ken that shocked him more than me.

"Alright alright. I know you're excited. Let go of me now. Are you closing already? Don't you have some leftover or something there?" P'Ken asked.

"What? Come on P! I'll treat you this time." I let go of him and we went to a nearby cafeteria.

---

We went back to our house right after we ate and I insisted P'Ken to sleep in our house that night.

I packed my things right after I set my foot on my room, excited to go back to Bangkok.

I have also told my mom about it. She warned me not to ask for money from her and I said fine. I will stay in a condominium with P'Ken and will find an extra job while studying.

I laid down happily that night with P'Ken staring at me.

"Why? Haha." I said, conscious by his glare.

"Nothing, I just missed you." He answered and tapped my forehead

"Oh yeah? I think I'm gonna call P'Pot right now." I teased him.

"Go on." P'Ken became serious and adjusted his body. Now he's staring at the ceiling. "He's busy again with his video games."

"So? He'll text you when he gets time. No boyfriend lets their boyfriend feel down."

"Well, my boyfriend's not like that." P'Ken said and stretched his right arm, setting it above my head, "Na. Let's sleep. We're gonna get up early tomorrow."

I raised my head and let P'Ken put his hand under it, so I can set my head on his right arm. "Fun dee P." I said.

"Fun dee Sun."

I once again traced the necklace on my chest and whispered, "Fun dee In."

---

We went off early the following day that we arrived at Bangkok at 12noon. There's so much more to do. Setting my things on P'Ken's room, buying stuff for school, preparing my requirements for school and the scholarship that I got and so much more.

It was so sudden, the change I mean. It was so fast that I didn't notice the week to pass in just a glimpse of an eye.

"The orientation of your faculty will be in your faculty's gymnasium. I'll drive you there and pick you up during lunch. I'll tell Pot to get you by afternoon for I'll do the groceries so we won't be---"

"Khrap Khrap. Relax P. " I chuckled at how nervous P'Ken was for me. "I'll ne fine!"

"Okay okay. I'm just worried." He said.

"You don't have to worry about me P."

"But I am." P'Ken said with a low voice.

"Huh? Why?" I asked.

"Just because I do. I'll go now. Your faculty gymnasium is right over there I think."

"Khrap. Take care P!"

"You should be the one to take care, Sun."

I sighed. I realized that I have really missed school. I missed having friends.

I put my head back to P'Ken's car before I fully closed it and hit him weakly on his shoulder. "P'Ken. I'm so thankful for having you here. Take care too okay? See you this afternoon"

---

"Hi?" someone from my back tapped me. "Are you a freshman as well? "

"Oh Hi. Yeah. I'm a freshman." I answered.

"What major are you taking?"

"Mass Communication."

"Woah. What a coincidence! I'm taking mass communication too! Pai Pai. The gymnasium's there. "

"Oh. Okay? "

----

His name is Tey, two years younger than me but was taller than me by an inch or two. Nerdy look he has, with highlighted hair of ash gray.

"Hi I'm Tey and this is May." He said, showing me May, a girl that is already in the gymnasium when we arrived.

"Hi, I'm Sun." I introduced myself with a smile.

"Hi Sun, I'm May. Did Tey drag you here by force? I am very sorry about that. He's always like that--"

"Hey Hey! I didn't! Right Sun?" he asked for defense.

I just smiled as our Seniors walked in front of us, the freshmen. The seniors introduced themselves. They told us to enjoy college and the usual things and we did some chants and stuff.

"We should go to our classroom now." May suggested while we were resting after the first meeting with the seniors.

"Five more minutes, I'm taking a picture of P'Jean." Tey said while holding his phone and focusing it on one of our seniors. "She's cute na, Sun?" Tey looked at me. I just scratched the back of my head as Jean was slowly walking towards our direction. "Hey hey! P'Jean's coming here!" Tey panicked. "Hide me, hide me!"

"Hi Sun, it's been so long." Jean greeted.

"Hi Jean. How are you with Lot?" I greeted her too. Tey looked surprised behind me that I know Jean.

"I'm still having a hard time taming that monster." Jean joked. "You didn't tell me that you'll be studying this year."

"Yeah. I just knew it last week so I didn't have the time to inform you guys."

"Oh, yeah? So, have you met him already?"

"P'Ken? Yeah. I'm staying with him for the meantime."

"Oh, I'm sure P'Pot will be jealous." Jean laughed. "But no, I wasn't pertaining to P'Ken. I meant him."

"Him? Who?" I asked once again.

"You didn't know that he's also studying here?"

"W-who is studying here that I know Jean?"

"Your friend." Jean put an emphasis on the word "friend" and continued. "He's now second year. Your friend, our classmate, In."

---------------------------------------------------

So I decided to write again. Been really busy with work. I hope I can update this asap. I don't even know if I still have readers. LOL.