Chapter 1.

(^Outfit Above^)
Brielle

"Brie Brie! Wake up, time for school!" "Mom! Do I have to get up? At least 5 more minutes?" I whine. "No Brielle. It's your first day of high school. Up, now." My mom says as she pulls my arms from under the covers. "Aww. Does my little Brie Brie not want to go to school?" Steve says coming in my room. Eck! Steve. "Ok, first, I'm not your lit--"

"Come on, go to the bathroom, take a shower, wash your hair, get dressed, pee! Whatever! Just get dressed and ready by 6:10." Mom says, interrupting me. I look down at the clock on my night stand. 5:19.

I get up and slip on my house shoes and robe. I look at my mom and Steve. I walk past them and turn my head as I reach the door knob. I look at Steve and give him the stank eye. Then open the door and head in.

I wash my hair first, then as I wait 10 minutes for my conditioner, I wash up. Then I rinse off my body and hair. By the time I get out it is 5:49. I dry off, blow dry my hair, and go to my room to get dressed. I pick out this cute outfit I've been dying to wear. It's sooo cute! I love it. Perfect for the first day of school.

I check the clock again and roll my eyes. 6:01. I pull out my flat iron and do my hair. I am half black and half white. (Actually I'm half everything!) So I have a lot of hair. It's going to take me a while to finish.

I am almost finished. I look over. 6:10. I did it faster than I thought. All I need to do is finish this front part which are the bangs. My mom doesn't think they are bangs because they are the same length as the rest of my hair. "Bangs are shorter." She says. I just laugh.

I'm done, so I go to my vanity and put some lip gloss on. As I do so, Steve comes in to my room. "Hey kiddo. Your mom is ready and wants you to mosey on down there." He chuckles at the 'mosey'. I don't say anything and keep applying lip gloss. "Look Brielle, I... I know you don't like me. Hey, you probably hate me. And I don't blame ya," He sits down on my bed and continues. "I went through the same thing with my step mom."

I stop and turn around to look at him. "My dad remarried. And boy did my mom hate her. She would call her all sorts of names like-- well, I don't think I should say those words around your little virgin ears." He laughs. "I've heard worse." I smile. He looks up at me and smiles. "Long story short, I hated her too. I always wanted my parents to get back together. But I knew that could never happen." I sit down next to him. But not too close.

"One day, I got into some trouble. Well, actually, I had nothing to do with it. My so-called 'friends' blamed it all on me and I---" He looks at me. "I don't think I should get into that." He chuckles. "Anywho, my mom was in the hospital for treatment and I knew my dad would kill me. I had no one to call. So, I only had two choices. Stay in jail, or call Silvya. So, I called her, she bailed me out, and we had a nice long talk."

"I got to know her, and she got to know me. We became friends. That's what I want for you and me. What ever you need or want, I'll be there." He got up and walked to the door. He turned around and put his hand out. "Friends?" I got up and walked past him and walked down the stairs. He followed me. "Finally! Come on, we are going to be late for your first day of high school!" Mom says as she walks out of the door.

I grab an apple and head out the door. Leaving Steve baffled. I close the door and waited 5 seconds. Then I opened the door and hugged him. "Friends." I said, and walked out to the car.

I maybe late for my first day of high school, but I got to admit, it was worth it.