Chapter 26: Why Can't Anyone See What I See?

Astrid

I had to travel back to Berk; I had to, there was no question to what I had found. The small NightFury toy which lies in my hand wore its same resemblance and somehow it still stayed intact wherever it had been. I knew that it was the one which I created, I would remember my mother's stitching anywhere, I would remember putting the design together but most of all, ask yourself why would the Grimborns create such a gift for Hiccup if they absolutely hated him. I knew the truth, everything that he had told us, everything that I had put together from him. He couldn't remember his real family so the Grimborns were the ones who he called on, he was missing his left leg, invaders kept coming at the islands he was one before it all stopped, everything that I had been feeling about this whole thing for me to now find a NightFury toy within all his things. Everything around me was starting to add up so I couldn't deny this any further. I was sure, I was definitely sure that this is Hiccup, my best friend Hiccup, the Hiccup who was taken 14 years ago. I placed the toy delicately in my skirt pocket and made sure that it was securely in there so no one would see it when I go to dinner but after that, I won't confer with them, not this time. In the morning I'll head straight back to Berk and tell the Chief everything. I had the proof I needed so he had to believe me, he just had to. Even the day Hiccup arrived here Stoick noticed the resemblance and he couldn't believe it, so now after everything I've found out he has to believe me.

With the toy securely in my pocket I made my way up to the clubhouse and took my place next to Hiccup. The presence now that I sat next to him felt more alive than ever. I just wanted to tell him about who he is, or at least who I think he is but I knew that I couldn't, not yet. As he looked my way with his emerald eyes which sparkled at me and his sweet innocent smile which I shared back at him it just made everything warm up around me. The moon pushed its way further up into the twilight sky and contrasted its light against the stars which were there too as if being a signal for Hiccup saying goodnight to the rest of us. We all said goodnight in return until it just left us all sat there in the clubhouse. I heard the fire crackle and burn lightly against my skin which let the room feel peaceful. "Astrid where were you at the start of dinner?" I looked up to see Heather looking at me suspiciously "What do you mean?" I questioned her back "Don't answer a question with another question. But since you are asking, you usually turn us straight away for dinner that's all," I laughed at her remark hoping that it didn't sound nervous because I could tell Heather knew I was up to something. "I just slept longer than usual that's all."

"Or did you sleep at all?" I looked to Tuff at my side pulling the dragon toy out of my pocket. "Tuff give that back!" I reached out straight away to get it back from him, but he pulled back immediately holding out his other hand in front of me to ward me off from getting it. "Astrid why do you have a dragon toy in your pocket?" Fishlegs looked at me confused I sighed because I knew that I couldn't get away with this that easily "It's not mine, as I was coming to the clubhouse I stopped by Hiccup's hut to see if he wanted to walk with me. He wasn't outside so I checked inside but he wasn't there so I figured he'd already come here. Though on my way out I knocked some things off his desk and as I picked them up I found the toy and it reminded me so much of the-," though I was cut off but this time it wasn't from Heather who I expected it to be but instead it was Snotlout and Ruff who spoke in unison with each other "Toy you gave Hiccup for his birthday," they both exchanged looks with each other looking quite surprised out how they thought the same thing. "Can I have a look at it?" Snotlout asked me, I nodded at him just as Tuff handed the toy over. I was shocked to see that I had no back lash to what I was implying because usually they would all tell me to let it go. Apparently, not this time.

We all watched eagerly as Snotlout inspected the toy very thoroughly in his hands. He handed the toy over to Ruff who did the same thing, then she passed it onto to Fishlegs who repeated their actions before handing it to Heather finalising the inspection I guess they believed Tuff already inspected it for himself before it was passed back to me. I looked at each of them in turn until Snotlout spoke up "No one would have believed me if they didn't see it for themselves but your right, it's look identical to the one that you made for him when we were children. I remember watching you and your mother making it one day, the detail is as accurate as I could relive the day." I nodded at Snotlout then looked at everyone else in the room. "Astrid as much as I hate to admit it, I think that you might be right. Maybe Hiccup isn't gone after all but in fact only metres away from this clubhouse," I looked over at Heather as she slowly lifted her head up from its lowered position. "What do we do now?" Fishlegs asked. I shrugged wondering if I should say what I had to say next but I did anyway "I'm going to talk to Stoick about everything, he deserves to hear what I have to say even if he doesn't believe it, you don't have to go with me but this is something I have to do."