Chapter 48: Together Once More

Astrid

So the trial didn't go down so well, this Queen Mala still believed us to be dragon hunters it's insane I couldn't believe and I still couldn't but I knew there was a possibility still to change her mind. As of right now, we were heading to the nest, presuming it was the nest of dragons and if that is the case then maybe there's a chance one of us would be able to train one of them and convince Mala that we aren't dragon hunters because we wouldn't harm them. That question remained which one of us would be the one to train the dragon; as we walked down the long dreary cave in nearly pitch blackness I let my head swivel round to look at the gang individually, the twins wouldn't have a clue like always so there wasn't any point considering them to train the dragon, Snotlout he could be considered then again he'd probably just scream depending on what dragon had to be trained so there wasn't any point considering him also. I landed eyes on Fishlegs and actually thought maybe that would work but then I remembered the first time we encountered a Whispering Death, he didn't like the idea of falling into that hole and wanted to return home immediately so maybe he wasn't the best option either; I mean it's great having all that dragon knowledge but when it needs to be put to use it doesn't really work out for him sometimes. So I guess that only left me and Heather. As my gaze landed on her she also looked back at me "What are you thinking?" she asked me automatically calculating the expression plastered on my face.

"One of us should train the dragon that will be inside the 'nest' to prove to Mala that we aren't dragon hunters," before Heather could even answer Snotlout split between the two of us already at the start of answering for her "Do you really believe that's gonna work?" I sighed heavily locking eye contact with Snotlout "It has to, because otherwise I've ran out of ideas and we're screwed," the conversation ended as it appeared our destination had been reached. Down this far end of the cave there seemed to be no type of dragon scouting the area, not like it was as we walked down and that was what settled the nerves inside my stomach. Knowing I saw Nadders, Gronkles, Monstrous Nightmares and all other dragons which can be easily trained didn't make the atmosphere of being in this cave that much scary, though now they've disappeared it made me realise that my hopes were about to be destroyed as there's a chance those dragons are not the type that will be down in this nest. "Step forward and receive your punishment," no one would step forwards after Mala's command and I hadn't even settled my mind on whom out of Heather and I would train the dragon down in the nest. It didn't matter; I felt my weight be pushed forwards by the others behind me slightly before I started to take delicate steps forwards myself. This was the right procedure to take, I knew that but the comments from behind didn't make the situation that much pleasing "So she can train any dragon?" Heather's voice echoed throughout the cave followed by Snotlout's sarcastic tone "No, she can't train Whispering Deaths. Changewings-,"

He didn't need to go on because as soon as my eyes landed on what was deep within the nest my eyes widened and my heart hammered out of my chest in almost fright "Speedstingers," without a second blink my weight was plummeted down inside the hole with the only sense of life from up above was the others screaming out my name. I felt my body tumble across the dirt harshly before my weight shot itself up rapidly so my eyes could catch a glimpse of the stingers as they shot all around me. I stumbled backwards a little as I let my gaze count how many stingers I was dumped in a hole with, it seemed about three or four so I figured if I only trained one there could be a chance they'd see the true side to us because there wasn't a chance I was gonna make it through all four of them. I locked eye contact with the stinger that was coming towards me "Hey little guy, I'm not gonna hurt," I raised my hand towards him with care but not much speed because I figured that might cause him to attack me. He eyed my hand cautiously determining what I was going to do with it so when I thought the time I was right I decided to take baby steps in his direction just as he kept watching my hand but it wasn't right his jaw snapped at me and within seconds I pulled my hand far back away from him. His tail spun in my direction just as I jumped back within a split moment just as a loud scream erupted from my lips.