Chapter 44: I'll Find You

Astrid

I didn't want to leave Hiccup alone, the look in my eyes when we separated from each other said it all but the look he was sharing back at me told a different story. Inside he believed he was going to be okay, that he could handle what we were doing, that nothing was going to happen to him so I should just let him go. Yet there was that gut feeling clenching inside me which was telling me something felt off about this whole situation, nothing was going to go smoothly, something or someone would make an interference and let everything we've worked hard to achieve would just blow up in our faces. I had to focus; I need to focus on being positive with an optimistic outcome but how is that possible when all my mind could focus on right now was Hiccup. He'd just come back into our lives, he'd just met his parent's again for the first time in years, I couldn't be the one who'd damage all that for him by putting him in a precarious situation...but I have done that. I've left him alone well not entirely alone he still has Toothless, but I still left him alone in these caves helping with this mission in Viggo's domain. I couldn't take the suspense any longer, I couldn't just stand here and do nothing I had to do something and that meant making sure he's okay especially to put my mind at ease because the suspense in not knowing is killing me.

I slammed my head up against the bars of one of cages I was standing next to and rubbed my eyes sighing heavily mumbling to myself looking round at the other cages which stood around me "I'll come back for you guys, I promise," I told them all as each of them looked at me or as some banged their weight up against the bars. I took one of the keys and unlocked the cage I was stood next to before creating a decent around the cave to try and find him. I was ruining my side of the mission I knew that, but with my heart hammering and my head screaming at me about Hiccup's well being I just had to find him. Even if he is okay, I wouldn't care I won't leave his side I just won't not until we're out of Viggo's domain and I know Hiccup is back home safely. I don't think it was just all this that was nagging at me, all day Hiccup's been acting weird he even seemed like it back on Berk after he was attacked maybe that was what feared me on the inside as well. Whoever attacked him back on Berk could possibly be following him right now trying to find another way to get at him; if this was true then I had to get back to him as soon as possible. Without knowing it I strut into a run, my heart was beating harder than ever, I had more adrenaline in my body to get him more than ever but as I did I found myself collapsing to the ground. "Astrid, what in Thor's name are you doing?" I shook my head from the blur taking over my eyes and noticed Heather standing looking down at me with her hand raised to help me back off the ground.

"I need to find Hiccup," I straight up told her but all I got back from her was an evident sigh of despair just as she shook her head at me obviously upset with the actions I was taking right now instead of following along with the mission. "Astrid, listen to me I'm sure he's fine. He has Toothless with him and all he's doing is freeing these dragons from their cages so Viggo can't sell them to the hunters and rich men which is exactly what we should be doing as well," but I could still hear my heart hammering at her words and my head screaming at me that it didn't matter what she was saying, none of it I needed to find him before it was too late. I knew Heather could see this in my eyes so she placed her hands on my shoulders so she could stare me dead in the eyes "Astrid, for once you have to trust that he'll be okay he's probably one of the strongest people I have ever met. He has gone through years of torment yet he's survived, you have to give him some credit for that alright," this time I actually paid attention to what Heather was trying to explain to me because she was right. He is one of the strongest people we've ever met, probably the strongest out of all of us so of course he would be able to handle himself. I've been getting myself worked up for nothing; everything was going to be okay. We'll free the dragons, get the others and leave.