Chapter 10

Please vote and share to your loved ones. Also, please correct mistakes if you notice any. Thanks. :-) :-) :-)
........

Stephano’s POV

*

             I took another glance her way. Again.

My eyes slowly trailed over to her face, her cute nose and her spiky eyelashes before facing the road once more. Her face was really an interesting place to keep my gaze on but we couldn’t afford to get into an accident now could we?

There was a time when she was a baby, about two years old then and she tripped with her chubby legs and fell down from the bottom of the staircase which she tried climbing. I carried her in my arms and not even her mama or father could pry her out of them till I wanted to go to bed at night.

She had even grown more beautiful from how she looked then and her eyes were twinkling as she took glances from the road as we drove towards our destination.

She kept fiddling with her fingers and her face was towards the window. Then she would bring it back to the road ahead of us but not once did she take even a glance my way.

It was as if she was afraid to look at me. I desperately needed to strike a conversation because I very much wanted to hear her speak but she wasn’t saying anything. How was I supposed to know what she was thinking? One could never really guess what a woman was thinking, most of them were over-thinkers.

When I saw her talking about her loud mouthed friend in the kitchen the other time, she had taken my breath away. I didn’t know the dress would fit this well, especially defining those curves. She looked really dashing in it and when she started posing to take the pictures, I simply couldn’t keep the small smile off my face.

I coughed to clear my slightly husky voice and I felt her tense a bit, then she relaxed. Irritation curled up my loins. Why was she so uptight around me?

I could no longer take the silence. “Kara?”

“Sir?” She asked in a small voice. No one would believe she was the same one talking to her madré minutes ago.

“How are you?” I gritted my molars together.

Cool bro, real cool. Start by asking her how she was, and then move to what she ate for lunch before ending it with what she would love to have for dinner. I probably sounded like a damn pollo right now. A chicken.

“I…uh, I’m fine. Thank you sir.” She replied curtly. I didn’t want her to be curt.

I wanted her to be the bat-shit crazy girl who used to slap her friend and yell at her whenever they were in the garden behind my window. That Kara was the real Kara, not this one beside me right now.

“Hope you’re cool, with everything around you?” I asked again and mentally slapped myself at the back of my head.

“Er...yeah, sure Sir.” She also replied with the damn honorific again. I'd never hated a word like I did with her 'sir' at this moment.

She was twenty, I was twenty five yet she would use that term to address me all the time just as she’d been doing since she was a little girl.

Did she know it was infuriating?

No. She probably had no idea how well I would appreciate it if she didn’t refer to me by that anymore.

I inhaled her perfume and heaved another sigh, this time a calm one. Judging by the rate at which I kept heaving sighs, I knew grey hair wasn’t far from growing on my head.