Chapter 27

Thanks to y'all for 100k reads!!! Thank you! I'm overwhelmed right now. Please tell your loved ones about SBTTB if you haven't. I'm glad I have y'all. Your supports keep me going. ❤

Kara’s POV

*
            The air was crispy, with hundreds of heads moving in separate directions according to their desired destinations. Different brands of cars were also driving out of the car park. We had just finished our last test for this semester and everyone seemed eager to leave the school because we had about five days break. Well, everyone except me.

I didn’t want to go home yet, the fear of what I was going back there to face was overwhelming. It was waiting patiently, and I could already feel it sucking me in, wanting to consume me with an unexplainable kind of fear.

Stephano was going to announce us as lovers this week end, he even had a few important business partners coming on that night and that would also be an official introduction for me to get known by the world.

The foreign investors thought he was not serious about his relationship status which mainly stated that he was ‘in a relationship’.  Well, at least that was what he told me. They needed proof that he was dedicated before signing a billion dollar deal with him. I attended the meeting where those men were speaking with him a few days ago, if not I would have made room for doubts.

This was just a business deal to him, but my heart keeps warning me against taking the whole thing seriously. It keeps saying I will regret it at the end. Because even though he was the unsmiling young master, I’ve also seen the jealous and possessive side of him.

He was definitely taking this agreement between us too seriously and my heart was now slowly failing me for fear that he might actually like me because it was either that, or the fact that Stephano was a really good actor. It was probably too foolish of me to think that way but, I didn’t know what to say anymore. My foolish heart was already beating for a mere contract relationship.

“What’s got you brooding?” Adrian’s voice floated through my ears.

I heaved a heavy sigh and blinked. “I’ve just been thinking about everything related to life in general.”

I took a brave look down the numerous meters below us, at the students filing their ways around the school and as if sensing my mood, my tongue clamped onto my throat for a good couple of seconds; to show that it also needed a form of escape.

I was not alone in this.

I was currently standing on the passage of our five storey building, which belonged to the Faculty of Languages and Ethics. Looking down at the students moving around in groups, they look like tiny ants.

I had been waiting for Adrian for the past few minutes because she left to have a discussion with the lecturer who introduced her to the Ducklings because she wanted to know if they would need her as a nanny to their bubbly baby boy again. I had no idea why she didn’t get their contacts since that was far better.

“What did she say?” I gestured with my chin towards the office she just exited.

She shrugged. “The Ducklings, who had my number, misplaced it and that was why they hadn’t called.”

“So...are you going to call them?”

“I should. Ugh...those people are so hard to deal with but their baby boy is a bundle of joy!” She crooned.

“What’s the plan then? You’re not going for your little family vacation?”

“I’ll think of that after a good sleep. We just sat for a three unit course test you know? Any away, I’m hungry right now so, let’s head to an eatery or something.” She scratched her navel, yawning in an unladylike way.