Chapter 38

Kara’s POV

*
             My eyelids fluttered open slowly and I blinked twice as I stared at the familiar shapes of the chandeliers attached to my ceiling, momentarily trying to gather my thoughts together.

“Thank you God for a new day.” I muttered with a smile as I slowly trembled due to the breeze gingerly caressing my skin. My hands quickly pulled the comforter closer to my chest. I yawned with my hands stretched out then my right hand hit something soft and a groan followed. Of course Stephano had slept right beside me. I sat up with a smile.

“Good morning.” I greeted Stephano who now had his eyes settled on me and it seemed like he’d been awake for a while. I would never stop being in awe of this man’s handsomeness, it left me baffled all the time.

His eyes were still partly closed but he looked just as good looking as he usually did on every other day. He mumbled back a greeting and snuggled into me, wrapping his hands around my torso and chuckling randomly. A pleasurable shudder trailed past my body as I felt his warm breath on my neck. When I tried pulling him off me, he tightened his hold.

“Did you sleep well?” I softly asked. A part of me was doing a happy dance in my head just because he had me so close to himself like this. Stephano was such a cuddly baby sometimes and I was glad I get to see that side of him, despite the cold exterior.

“I need to go downstairs and see what’s happening Stephano. Mama must be in the kitchen by now.” I checked the time while speaking. It read six forty nine.

“Love, no.”

“Hmm?”

“Stay.”

“But I need to go. I’ll be back, okay?”

“Love, no.”

My breath hitched at his repeat of the endearment, a small smile quickly forming on my lips. His voice was thick as he spoke, husky.

“How are you feeling?”

“Hmm.” He groaned. It came out with a bit of difficulty, as if he didn’t appreciate the way I was constantly asking him questions. 

Then I suddenly remembered how strange he had acted last night and a gasp hastily escaped my lips as my eyes went wide. I quickly switched into panic mode as that dreadful feeling came and rested fully at the pit of my belly.

I placed my hand on his forehead and sure enough he was burning a bit. Hissing, I swiftly unwrapped his arms from my waist before he could object and I hastily got out of bed.

Pulling my drawer open, I dug into it and heaved a sigh of relief when I found some pills there. I didn’t feel like going downstairs at the moment because I was hesitant to leave him here alone but I knew I would have done that if the drugs hadn’t been in my drawer.

“Stephano sit up and have this.”
He craned his neck and when he saw what I had in hand, shook his head instead. I came around the bed and planted my harshest glare on, tapping my foot in annoyance. He wasn’t helping right now.

“Sit up!” I commanded. He ignored me as if I was speaking an entirely different language and just stared blankly. Then, I decided that it would be best if I tried a different approach and I sat on the bed, smiling gently at him.

“Stephano, sit up okay? Please baby.” I mumbled softly and pecked his cheek repeatedly, feeling him relax into my touch. Trying to force Stephano to do anything was a big no.

An image of me being yanked to one side and breaking my neck passed like a blur before my eyes and I quickly shook off the shudder that snaked its way down my skin. Just a little push from Stephano’s muscular arm would have me reaching for the stars. It would be best if I just did everything gently with him.