Chapter 39

Kara’s POV

*
             I was weak. Every fiber in me ached terribly; it was an indescribable feeling that had taken a deep root in my system.

My soul yearned, it kept screaming in an overly high pitched tone but my lips were too weak to utter a single sound and I had no strength to push it. My mind was in chaos as several questions swirled in large and small fonts in my head. I had no answer to any of them.

The bright lights in the passage almost blinded me when I was jarred out of my deep thoughts and into the real world; the same world that held the answer to all these questions circulating in my mind.

“And you don’t know what happened to him?” The voice above my head croaked.

He hadn’t stopped asking me questions since he got here. I was grateful that he was here and he cared so deeply enough to hang around for this long, but I wasn’t even in the mood to utter any word. He tapped me softly. I flinched.

“How would I? I don’t.” My voice was hoarse as I tried not to snap at him. I really needed to be alone right now because I was a bundle of nerves and would easily get on edge if I keep getting disturbed in my current mood.

“I mean, he went to work...came back and…wait, did you notice anything different in his behavior?”

Paul’s expectant eyes were on me as I decided to look at him for the second time since he appeared through the long hallway, the alertness unmistakable in those eyes. I heaved a sigh and dropped my head into my palms, resting my elbows on my knee and feeling my body tense in anticipation from what the doctor would have to tell us.

I looked up at him and bit my lower lip.

“At this point, please I’ll like to be alone for a bit. I’m really sorry but...my head is hurting...” I mumbled in a monotone and slowly cradled my head as if that would stop the constant ache.

He heaved a sigh. “Alright, I’ll get you a cup of chocolate drink opposite the building. Be good.” Paul caressed my hair a little and planted a kiss on my forehead before leaving.

I heaved a low sigh, appreciating the silence that embraced my whole vicinity the instance Paul left. I was grateful he came here and was so concerned about this whole issue but I desperately needed to gather my thoughts together. Stephano was constantly on my mind.

He was the only person I could think of since we got here. His smile, teasing, his cute but rugged jealousy, his ways of letting me know he cares so much about me and then his confessions. He loves me, but I don’t fully know where we stand and it would be great if he can get healed on time. But mama had mentioned mental imbalance and that alone has my heart thumping wildly in my chest already.

And it hadn’t been easy getting him to leave the mansion and to come with the doctor to the hospital.

Stephano had fought tooth and nails, stating with affirmation that someone would come for him and he didn’t want to leave my room. To be honest, he had looked pretty serious about it, seriously mental, dare I say. 

He didn’t want to even leave the bed, and it had been a battle convincing the doctor that Stephano wouldn’t harm me if I tried to move closer and even hug him.

I was the only one Stephano had acknowledged the presence in that room and when I promised I would come with him, he had gripped my hand firmly and allowed me lead him down the stairs. He hadn’t even spared my madre a single glance!

The whole scenario couldn’t be crazier. Whenever my memory flashed back to that time when we were in my room with the doctor, I would feel the wild thump of my heart again. He looked like he usually did some months ago, when he used to glare constantly. The only difference now was that I was the only one Stephano was not glaring at.