Chapter 14

The morning started off as any other normal morning. I laid in bed awake as Tom slept beside me peacefully suddenly I felt the babies kick. "Okay I'll get up." I whispered softly to them. That's when a loud ringing started echoing from one of my drawers waking up Tom. I recognized it as the ring from the mirror Pansy gave me. I rushed to the drawer and picked it up opening it to see the solemn faces of my friends whom I've neglected speaking with recently. "Guys what's wrong?" I asked curious as to why they looked so glum. "Oh Roslyn I'm so sorry," Daphne cried making me furrow my eyebrows. "About what Daphne? What happened?" I asked franticly while sitting on the bed. "There was something wrong with the baby so you're mom had to have it early," Millicent said slowly. "Is the baby okay? Where's my mom? Guys what's going on?" I could already feel the tears welling up in my eyes as Pansy spoke.

"Roslyn your Mum is dead."

    My heart was in unbearable pain, and in this moment I felt more sorrow than I had in my life

    My heart was in unbearable pain, and in this moment I felt more sorrow than I had in my life. The sound of glass shattering reached my ears but I was too numb to really understand what I had done. I looked blankly ahead at the wall staring at an eel calmly swimming through the lake. I swallowed hard as I arose from the bed and walked out of the room hearing Tom calling out to me. I didn't know what to do or where to go. I ran my fingers through my hair tugging at it and hyperventilating. Hot tears fled from my eyes as I walked into the nursery slamming the door shut before letting out a horrid scream of devastation all but falling to the ground.

The tears spilled down like an angry waterfall as I thought of my mum suffering alone. I should've been there for her! I was too wrapped up in this fake life. My father is alone now and I didn't even hear if the baby was okay. I sobbed as I tried to get up supporting myself on a shelf but I slipped back down after having put my support on a book laying halfway off the shelf. Shifting myself on ground I wiped my tears away trying to regain some sort of composure. I picked up the book that had fallen beside me "The Raven," I read aloud rolling my eyes. My father and I would read this one together when I was a child. I never quite understood why he favored muggle authors. "Only this and nothing more." I sighed before throwing the book as hard as I could against the wall feeling my children kick inside of me before I did so. The speaker in "The Raven" drove himself mad with heartbreak after he lost someone he loved dearly. He thought a raven was speaking to him, to me the raven represented his grief spiraled into insanity but maybe also a beacon of hope that the world isn't what it seemed and nothing was as you once thought it should be. As if the laws of nature could reverse themselves and show you things you never thought possible to bend reality, to turn back the hands of time just like I did. Just like I wish I could do now.

I pulled myself up slowly and walked to the rocking chair and facing the wall with the view of the black lake. "Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket never let it fade away catch a fallen star and put it in your pocket save it for a rainy day." I sang softly while reminiscing on the days my mother used to sing that to me as a child before I went to sleep. I softly sobbed as I thought about how I'd never be able to speak to her again. The last time we talked I accused her of selling me to the dark lord for "fame and fortune". Everything about this situation was wrong but I was blaming the wrong person for it. Everyone knows who the real culprit is, and I just so happen to live with him. I heard a sudden knock on the door startling me. "Go away." I sniffled knowing it was just Tom probably to tell me to grow up. Upon standing up from the chair I reached to pick up the book I had thrown when suddenly an envelope fell to the ground. I took it into my hands and stared down at it curiously. I recognized my fathers writing on it immediately. What the letter read stunned me to the bone and changed my life. I heard the door softly open as I stared into the darkness of the lake. "Your devastation though understandable is not good for the children. I don't pretend to know your sorrow." I rolled my eyes thankfully I was facing away from him. "Of course you don't you never knew your mom and you killed your own father. You thought I didn't know that didn't you? I know you better than you even know yourself Tom Riddle." I said in a monotone voice.