Chapter 40

Shoutout to Bookworm_1233 for making our new amazing cover!

Today was a bad day, a very bad one. It started off as any normal day, I got up to see Tom had left for one of his dark meetings he had planned like normal. Of course the twins were awake as per usual except there was clearly something wrong with Scarlett. Her cry wasn't like the usual "mommy I want milk" cry it was a shrill cry of pain. Trails of mucus fell from her nose and she would stop crying every now and then to wheeze and cough. I had believed it to be a bad cold worrying me to no end, but little did I know that this travesty would lead to something even bigger than the issue itself, and that's hard to accomplish. It all started when I worriedly picked Scarlett up from the crib to examine her properly.

   The cold morning breeeze seeped in through the open windows making me pull my robe closer to my body. The window stayed open last night, how strange the babies must be freezing. I wrapped my arms around Scarlett and rubbed her little arms as she cried. I noticed she was breathing fast making me worried. Moving my hand to touch her forehead my eyes widened as I noticed it was warmer than it should be. Scarlett began to cough aggressively so I brang her to my chest and patted her back. I immediately left the nursery with her as I didn't want Raven sick as well. She has been cranky these last couple days but this is the first day she's showing these symptoms.

   I grew more and more concerned as time went on, there was no soothing her. It doesn't help that she's teething either. My poor daughter is in agony and I have no idea what to do. Raven crying from the other room conflicted me. I didn't know if I should stay with Scarlett or run and take care of Raven real quick. I sighed and kissed Scarlett's head and placed her in the playpen before going to the bathroom to wash my hands. "I know, I know," I said as I rushed to the nursery to care for Raven. He seemed fine he just wanted some milk and to be free from his crib. Rocking him in my arms I laid out a blanket on the floor in the living room and put him on top of it. After setting him up with a bottle I rushed back to Scarlett. "Okay girly lets get you feeling better," I said tiredly as I walked her to the bathroom and turned on the facet with hot water. The steam should help her congestion. For ten minutes I sat with her in the hot steam filled bathroom but still she cried aggressively. I wiped away the mucus that had accumulated around her nose with some toilet tissue before turning off the water. I definitely need to take her to the doctor I'm worried.

   I absolutely hate having no way to get in touch with Tom! I settled on tapping my bracelet rapidly so his would blink. Placing Scarlett in her high chair I ran to get dressed. "Tom," I growled while tapping the bracelet. I don't even know how I'm going to get to a muggle hospital, I don't even know where one is. There's definitely not one around here. I need help, he's lived in the muggle world for far longer than I have he must know how to get to a hospital.  I grabbed at my hair feeling overwhelmed as I ran over to where Scarlett was crying and where Raven was getting fussy. "Unbelievable," I said angrily as I received no response from the bracelet. I got the babies ready quickly and placed them into their stroller. How is Tom going to know where we are? I don't even know how he was able to find us that time in raggedy muggle London. I quickly scrawled down a note for him and rushed out the door. Having no idea where to go or what I do I ran all the way to my boss Cheryl's house. I began wheezing myself from running so fast when I reached her place. I knocked on the door rapidly while trying to catch my breath. She answered the door and gave me a concerned look. "Roslyn what's wrong?" She asked. "I need help, Scarlett is sick, I don't know where Tom is, and I need a way to get to a hospital," I sputtered out quickly. "Oh honey let me get my purse," she said before rushing to grab it and then leading me to her car. "It's a wonder why you two don't have a car," she said. "It's the latest fad," she continued as I got in the backseat with the twins after stuffing the stroller in. "I don't believe it myself," I said while trying to calm Scarlett. "She must have that flu that's going around," Cheryl said as she looked at Scarlett through the review mirror.