Chapter 30

The clouds in the sky seemed to clear away for the sun to shine brightly on my exposed shoulders. I wanted to crawl into a corner and retreat from all this unwanted attention, but I did the opposite. A confident smile graced my red lips and I walked tall with my head held high. A blush appeared on my cheeks as a wolf whistle vocalized behind me as I passed a few construction workers. Is this wrong? Why do I feel so guilty for showing myself off like this? Waving away those thoughts I arrived at the first house. I looked down at the newspaper in my hand to confirm it was the right place. "Open house today," I read the sign outside of the old home. Tilting my head to the side I decided that this place isn't too bad.

   "Are you here for the open house?" A voice asked from behind me. I jumped slightly before turning to see an older man in his late 40's, with grey hair and a large face clad in wrinkles. "Yes I am," I said with a charming smile. He looked a little nervous as he walked up to the porch and to the door. "Come on in," He said, unlocking the door. "The house was built by yours truly 20 years ago," he babbled on. "Watch your step," he said as I crossed the threshold with the stroller. "There's a school nearby, along with a Church," He said wiping his sweaty forehead with a cloth. "How many bedrooms?" I asked as I examined the kitchen. "Three and 2 bathrooms," He said. "It's beautiful," I said as I walked into the first bedroom. "Adorable kids, the father around?" He asked suddenly. I didn't quite know how to answer him. "He's away," I said as I continued to look around the house. "Military?" He asked to which I nodded, seeing it as a way to get away from the topic. "I was in the military myself when I was a young man, left behind my wife and children too," he said looking down. "All the precious years passed so quickly, they're grown and my wife has passed. My only regret is not spending enough time with them," he said sadly. "I'm sorry," I said to him. "It's my own fault," he said. "I'll tell you what, making it by yourself has got to be difficult while your husbands away, I know it was for Matilda at least. I'll cut the rent down a little, make it easier on you and your kids," he said with a smile. "Wow thank you," I said happily. "In that case we'll take it," I said excitedly. "The 39 pounds in my purse was just enough to cover the rent for this month. "Don't worry about it, it's the right thing for me to do considering the circumstances. For a long time this house was her pride and joy, and now it's yours," He said with a warm smile. "Do you live locally?" He asked to which I nodded. "When can you move in?" He asked. "As soon as possible," I said giddily. "How about Thursday morning, I'll have your lease ready by then," He said. "That would be amazing thank you so much!" I exclaimed bouncing on my heels.

   Two more days had gone by and still there was no sign of Tom. Back and forth I walked to our future home to provide information for the owner, Bill. There was still two more days to go till we could move in. Yesterday I answered an ad in the paper for a florist. The woman got back to me right away showing up at the orphanage to meet with me. I told her the same thing I told Bill about Tom's absence, and it hurt to lie like that, but I couldn't even bring myself to say he left me. I began to think that he had left us forever. The florist, Clara told me I could have the job and best thing is that it's walking distance from my new home. It's the excitement of my new home and life that keeps me going. However, that ad wasn't the only attention worthy thing I saw in the paper yesterday. Tom had made the front page, or at least his crime did. A picture of the same woman I saw him with took over the front page, she had been found murdered in her home. Her name was Hephzibah Smith, and now there's a man hunt for her killer, though I know they'll never find him. He got what he wanted, and it was silly of me to think he'd return once he was done playing house with that woman. Maybe I don't even want to welcome him back anymore.

   A pile of Tom's things littered the ground, and I sat in front of them staring blankly at the things he left behind. I could never make peace with this, and staring at his things would never make it easy. I slowly reached my hand out to pick up one of his work coats. Tears flooded my eyes as I raised it to my nose and took in his scent. I hate missing him so terribly, I never knew I'd want him so badly to be here with me. Lowering the coat to the ground I picked up one of his many books. This one was a common read of his, the cover was so worn I couldn't even make out the title. I sighed and tossed it into an empty box along with the rest of his things. Writing Tom on top of the box with a marker I pushed it to the side.