Chapter 48

Listen as you read ),:

I had squandered what money I could find in the house before I left. A few days in a hotel and some food and it was gone. Everything was gone. Whenever I close my eyes I see him. I see him with a smile on his face because that's how I choose to remember him. I had chosen to forget all the arguments we had gotten in leading up to this turn of events. Though his blazing eyes resurface at times much to my distaste I still choose to see him in love with me and our children. I hate thinking of him as if he's dead. It's almost like he has.

I wasn't sure if Tom would come looking for us, but I decided to stay in muggle London and cover up my tracks. It's all I know, the only thing that's familiar to me aside from Hogwarts. On the other side of town there was a rundown apartment complex called 'The Lendoplex'. I had heard from the girls at the florist say that the landlord was very lenient, so with my last bit of money I took the long taxi drive to the south side. At this present time I had no income and no money on hand, I can use all the breaks I can get. I know that as soon as Tom sees the letter he'll either hunt me down or return to the wizarding world completely. Though the latter seems more accurate, and he'd waste no time in doing so. He despises muggle London and that's why I've decided to stay.

The taxi stopped a while back and I am to find my way to the building on my own. It's freezing and dark out here. I don't know what I'll do if this place doesn't work out for us. It's so difficult to keep it together but I know I can't waste anymore time falling apart. I have two kids to think about, and possibly another one on the way. I clutched the bar on the stroller tighter as I thought about me possibly being pregnant again. I don't know how to do this on my own. I don't know how to be without him. I began to believe I was too impulsive with leaving him. How can I think that way I couldn't stay there if I was to be treated as a slave. He was getting dangerous, and if there was even a possibility he could hurt my kids I could never risk it, and I couldn't trust that he wouldn't do so. He was uncontrollable and I know that I couldn't stop him, he was much too powerful. I know he'll come for us one day when he's good and ready. It was all part of the plan, and I'll live in fear over it. Trying to contain my emotions I continued pushing the stroller in the direction of the apartments.

 Trying to contain my emotions I continued pushing the stroller in the direction of the apartments

The huge building was aged and dingy but still I had no choice in giving it a try. I must look awful. My eyes were most likely bloodshot from all the crying, and keeping up my hair was something I hadn't been doing these past few days. I tried to pull myself together quickly as I wanted to make a good impression. For now this is my only lead in getting us a place to stay. I took a deep breath and tilted the stroller back to lift the front onto the first step. Hopefully Mr.Him can stay asleep on his perch at the top of the stroller. I would not leave the poor dog with such a monster, he's family.

My eyes searched the empty halls for someone to help me. A large stair case sat on the right side of the room. I looked up to see the railings of the many floors above. Running my hand though my blonde locks I looked around for another soul. I finally caught sight of a door with the word 'office' on it in gold letters. "Here goes nothing," I whispered before knocking softly on the great oak door. "Come on in," a man called from the other side. I did as he said and opened it to see a cluttered office with a large desk that sat before a young man probably in his mid thirties. He wore a friendly smile that I returned. "Hello I'm Roslyn Riddle, I'm here to inquire about renting one of your apartments," I said, removing one of my gloves before reaching to shake his hand. "Joey Luna, I'm the owner you've come to right place," he said awkwardly as he shook my hand. "I happen to have one vacancy," he said not taking his eyes off of me as he reached for a folder. I turned and grabbed the stroller and wheeled it inside the office. His eyes shifted to the wagon carrying my whole world. "It would be for my children and I," I said checking in on my beautiful babies. "Pardon me for asking but is the father..," he trailed off. "He's not in the picture," I said quickly. What's with people always asking about the whereabouts of the father? Can't a mother be single and have nothing to do with the crazy tyrant? People like to judge if the father's not around as if it were my fault some how. Even talking about him makes me want to break down.

   "I'm sorry," he said as he handed me a paper. "I'm not," I said as I examined the application. I nearly choked as I noticed the rent was nearly as much as the house. "Do you have employment?" He asked suddenly making my cheeks go red in embarrassment and nervousness. "Mr. Luna," I started as I placed the paper back in the desk. "I came here today because I heard you might be able to help me out. I'm not looking for any handouts I'm just looking for a little understanding. My kids and I have nowhere to go. I need this apartment, and I promise you if you take a chance on me I won't let you down. I'll get three jobs if I have to just please I'm begging that you at least think about it," I pleaded as all my pride went out the window. My eyes brimmed with tears as he looked like he was pondering something. "I like you, you seem like an honest girl and I can't turn away a mother and her children and call myself a Christian. I'm going to help you out. I'll put in a good word for you at the store across the street for a job. The place is yours, but I must warn you that previous tenants didn't leave on good terms with me. It will take some work, but it's livable," he said shocking me with his kindness. "Oh Mr.Luna I promise you won't regret this thank you so much," I said excitedly. "Don't thank me quite yet. You haven't seen the flat," he said as he opened up a glass box of keys. "Anything will do just fine. I can't thank you enough," I said with a smile. "We got it," I mouthed excitedly to my twins. Another step in the right direction. Another step away from you know who.
——-///———-///