Chapter 15

I wiped a stray tear off of my cheek as I listened to the record player Tom bought for me after I told him I've always wanted one

   I wiped a stray tear off of my cheek as I listened to the record player Tom bought for me after I told him I've always wanted one. I was listening to "These Arms of Mine" which is truly a heart-wrenching song.

That's when I heard the door to our humble abode open and hesitant footsteps make their way towards my crying figure on the couch. Trying to compose myself quickly I suddenly looked up to see the outstretched hand of Tom Riddle. I timidly slipped my hand into Tom's as he helped me up from my seat on the couch. He placed his other hand on my waist while I placed my free hand on his shoulder. We took a dance form the best we could since my belly was housing nearly 9-month-old twins. Tom skillfully led me in a slow dance around the living room. I smiled up at him a little not just because of this beautiful moment we were sharing but because I know he is slowly but surely realizing the inevitable was coming true. I raised my hand to cup his cheek stroking it with my thumb as he looked down at me with a look of adoration and respect. He knew what I was doing for him, and he understood the severity.

   A tear slipped down my cheek as I thought of Tom together with our kids without me. How would he raise them on his own, and what would the fate of our children be? He reached up and wiped away the tear from my cheek before brushing his thumb against my lips. I kept my eyes on his as he made his next move bringing me into his embrace. "Shhh. I'm going to make it all better." He whispered softly as I cried silent tears of fear and devastation. "Do you believe me?" He asked softly whilst taking my face in his hands. "I do." I whispered back quietly. I feel like I'm just a ticking time bomb and any day or any moment now my life would come to a bitter end, nothing can save me from this fate. I can't keep my mind of it, it's inevitable. Giving birth should be my happiest achievement, not my greatest fear.

Day after day we waited with heavy hearts, Tom for my death and I for my twin's birth. I knew Tom was trying to accept it but I hadn't fully accepted it either. No one else knew but us, but everyone else wasn't important. Hogwarts was full of hundreds of people and yet I felt so lonely. I spent most days waiting for my water to finally break signifying something inevitable. Sometimes I just want it all to end already, this antagonizing feeling of the unknown is unbearable. It is 2 am, I'm situated comfortably on the bed next to Tom's sleeping form. Strange how sleeping next to him seemed so wrong at first but now it's so natural. I wish I could live forever, with Tom and my children. I just want my children to be happy no matter what happens to me. I don't care about me, the bags under my eyes from my lack of sleep nor the way my body has changed all I want is for my kids to come into this world healthy and ready to take it on without the saving grace of a mother. I just want to go peacefully if this truly is my fate and I know it is. In my heart, I know there is nothing that I wouldn't do to live and to be able to spend my life with my twins, and Tom Riddle strangely enough.