Chapter 36

I glared at Tom's back as he left down the road for work. What a change from yesterday when I would've done anything to get him to stay. With a slam of the door I wandered into the bedroom and grabbed one of his shoes with a smirk. "Mr.Him!" I called to which the puppy came barreling down the hallway. "Have fun," I said dropping the shoe on the floor. Something else I'm good at, proving people wrong. The laundry? Well mine is done. I was great when I was in the future. I had the moxie and drive to get what I wanted, I never had to ask anyone for anything. "Shopping spree anyone?" I called out with a laugh going for the cash I had put aside. I was spontaneous and cunning, two things I'm going prove I'm still good at.

   Serves him right, he can't tell me what I am. I was gonna be a star, let's not forget that he technically took that from me. His idiotic comments opened up old wounds and brought some hidden resentment to light, things I had wanted to forget. I abhor the way he told me to run along and prepare his supper, I do all those things as a kindness to him, and it's like he just expects it and he never even says thank you. I can't keep excusing this as being how men of the 1940's think. If Tom and I are going to work he needs to start understanding my ideals
and start showing me some more appreciation. I do a lot around here and I think it's time for a little gratitude, and trip to the appliance store.

"What you have here is your top of the line clock radio, just got this baby in this morning," a salesman said showing me a chestnut brown boxy device. "You mean no one else has this?" I asked as I examined it. "You'll be the first dame to be on trend," he promised. "I'll take it," I said with a smile. "I'll get it wrapped up for you," he said. It was substantially cheaper than the washing machine and something I could definitely brag about at the shop. It's perfect, it's just enough to get Tom's idiotic goat.

I admired my brand new clock radio that stood proud in the living room. "Lovely," I said with a smirk. He was late again, but it just meant his dinner would be cold much to his irriatence not that I care at this point. I kicked off my shoes and walked to the nursery to play with the children. Not even a few minutes later I heard Tom walk in and call out for me. I wonder what's his excuse for being late this time, it's probably something moronic. I walked into the living room about ready to let the games begin when my eyes set on a brand new automatic washer standing in the middle of the living room. I instantly regretted my actions today, in fact I felt awful. Tom wore a proud smirk on his face as he observed my look of shock. "Well what do you think?" He asked motioning to it. "I had a change of heart and decided you deserve something nice, so as foolish as I believed it to be I picked you up the last one, that's why I'm so late." My heart wanted to explode as he spoke.

   I couldn't believe he had changed his mind. I smiled though I felt guilty on the inside. "It's perfect," I said moving to stand infront of the clock radio to hide it from his sight. "Thank you I love it," I said, internally panicking as I spotted Mr.Him running over with Tom's destroyed shoe in his mouth. Tom followed my alarmed gaze almost spotting the dog when when I called his name. "Tom!" I said a little too loud. "What? What's wrong?" He asked worrisome. "I uh left Scarlett's stuffed bear outside would you mind getting it for me? You know she can't sleep without it," I said causing him to give me a strange look. "You left her toy outside?" He asked. "Yes, I totally forgot to bring it in after I brought them outside to play." He looked from me to the door before walking out to retrieve the toy from outside. As soon as he left I picked up the clock radio and ran to the spare room with it. "Roslyn I don't see it!" I heard Tom call out. "It's out there keep looking!" I bellowed as I chased Mr. Him around trying to retrieve the shredded shoe.

   "Roslyn I don't-" He was cut off by me sticking the shoe behind my back quickly as he appeared in front of me. "What do you have?" He asked crossing his arms. "Nothing," I said quickly. "I'm not daft I know you're hiding something. I was wondering why you were acting so strange," he said accusingly. Come on shoe transfigure into something, anything please. Now I wish I had mastered wandless magic. "Roslyn," he said taking a step towards me. In an instant I stuffed the ripped shoe into my skirt and held out my hands in front of me. "See, Nothing," I said as he continued to give me a curious glance. "Thank you Tom for the washer you didn't have to do that. I wasn't upset about it," I said with a smile as I walked forward to hug him. "Sure you weren't," He said just as I heard a 'plop' from behind me and the weight on my skirt disappeared. "Oh sweetheart you dropped your-" Tom said as he reached for the shoe before I could, pausing as he analyzed the item. "I can explain," I said as I saw his eyes fill with fury. "That dog," he growled as he stormed passed me to find Mr. Him. "Tom wait he didn't do it," I said pulling on his arm as I chased after him. "I told you Roslyn if that dog started making trouble he's out of here, this is trouble," he said holding up the destroyed shoe. "I can fix it," I said snatching it out of his hand. "For your dog to destroy it again? Absolutely not," he said continuing his search for the puppy. "Tom it wasn't his fault," I said as I spotted him walking over to the puppy. "Now I know why you were acting so strange you were protecting that scoundrel," he said. "No I was protecting myself," I said finally.