Chapter 44

From that day on things seemed to be going okay. It was awkward at first but we came to fall back into the swing of things. Still I wondered how he could treat me so badly one second and then turn into a model husband the next. Day by day he's making it up to me, but I guess only time will tell if he's truly a changed man. little by little he grew further away from the ideal husband and father. More nights were spent alone, and it would seem like our intimacy was fading. Still I held on and grasped every bit of love he showed me, but it's hard to hold a candle in this rugged rain. Everything was seemingly perfect for a little while, and then it all started. A beautiful March morning would turn out to bring the most rugged storm I would have ever braved.

A warm spring day is just what I needed to brighten my mood. It's true I've been melancholy for a few days now. I guess I have no reason to be but when I think of the fact that my children will be a year old this coming monday I become especially emotional. Tom's been gone doing his dark wizard act more and more lately. It makes me sad that he's gone so much, but I'm even more upset that I think I don't care as much as I should. I was startled by a loud knock on the door forcing my thoughts to disappear. I slowly rose from my perch on the sofa and timidly made my way to the front door. How strange, we never get visitors, perhaps it's the paper boy looking for payment. "Hello?" I called out as the knock came once more. "Delivery for Mrs. Riddle," a man's voice announced from the other side of the door. A delivery for me? I reached for the doorknob and then quickly retreated my hand. This doesn't seem right, I have an odd feeling about this. Another knock sounded from the door causing me to take a step back. "Ma'am are you there?" The man called out. "One second," I replied as I slipped my wand out of my pocket. Slowly I opened the door with my wand in my free hand. "Can I help you?" I asked as my eyes set on a man short in stature. "Is there a Mrs.Riddle at this residence?" He asked. "That's me," I replied to which he handed me a box. "Good day," he said tipping his hat to me before leaving quickly. I looked from his retreating figure to the box in my hands. I would have been afraid to open the mystery parcel if it weren't for the dark mark sitting proudly at the top of the box. In truth I was still a bit concerned.

Walking back to my seat on the sofa I unfastened the top and peered inside. A single rose stood afloat in the center and was accompanied by a letter. A gift no doubt from my missing other half. My fingers grasped the rose bringing it to my nose. I inhaled the sweet scent with a smile before placing it on the shelf. "Mawmah!" I heard squealed from the nursery as I opened the letter. That's pretty much the only word they know but they babble on endlessly other than that. We're working on dada but they don't seem to be catching on. My heart instantly fills with an overwhelming love as I walk over to the nursery with the letter in my hands. Both babies squeal excitedly as they see me. Raven is standing in his crib using the bar for support and Scarlett is plopped down in her crib reaching her hands out for me to carry her. They're both able to stand now if they have something to steady them, but neither have taken steps yet but when they do I hope Tom is here to see it. "Come on cuties," I said with a smile as I lifted them up one by one and placed them on the carpet to crawl around. I sat down in the middle of the room allowing them to crawl on me making me smile. They're getting so big next thing you know they'll be in school and they won't need me as much. Looking down at them I force myself to push away any of those feelings. I want to enjoy this time as much as possible. I don't think I cherished them as newborns enough, I was far too tired and cranky. I was so worried about what our future held with all this uncertainty. "You're looking like your pop more and more," I said to Raven as I combed out his dark fluffy hair with my fingers. Tom and Raven may share many features, but I know Raven doesn't carry his anger trait, he just can't. He's too sweet and adorable to carry any kind of malice like his father. My Scarlett is sure to be a stunner when she gets older. She looks more like me in my opinion, but she has Tom's wavy dark hair as well as his dimple chin. They giggled as I hugged them to me and shook back in forth. I'll never grow tired of this. A tug on the letter in my hand reminded me of its existence. "Not for you baby Huey I said to Raven as I moved him to where Scarlett was sitting. And now a word from our sponsor, I thought as I opened the letter.

Roslyn,
I will be home promptly at 3 o'clock today to take you and children out. Please be ready by then. I don't intend to wait.

-Tom

  How romantic, I thought with an eyeroll. He was never one for romance I suppose but he has his moments. Looking down at the bracelet on my wrist I am reminded of one of his best ones. For grins and giggles I held my fingertips to it with a smile. His steady heartbeat made me fill up with love. Even if I've been down lately, still even the slightest thought of him makes my heart erupt with love no matter how angry or sad he makes me. I almost wanted to feel his heartbeat a little longer, but I didn't want to annoy him with the light that would emit from his bracelet. Only a few seconds later did a light emit from my bracelet making me sigh. He doesn't need to be romantic all the time it really is these little things that make me happy.  It takes all I have to steady my heart beat so he doesn't tease me about it beating so fast later. These past few months have been up and down for us, but still we are intact at least that's what I believe.

   He said he'd be here at three, what time is it? Peering up at the clock on the wall my eyes widened. I have 20 minuets to get ready! "Come on you two," I said as I quickly got them ready. Starting with a nappy change that might as well have been 30 lashings. "Its just a nappy change," I said over Raven's cries. A sigh escaped my lips as I finished fastening his nappy. "Your father isn't going to be pleased if we don't shake a leg cuteness," I said, kissing him on the head and giving him a pacifier. "Now you two play here while I get my act together," I said getting undressed whilst running to the bedroom. The doctor says talking to the twins will accelerate their speech. Tom thinks it's odd how I have complete one sided conversations with them, however them saying mama is attributed to my persistence. Oh no I have 8 minuets until the eagle lands.

   "Bloody hell!" I exclaimed as I hit my arm on the door frame while brushing my hair and rushing out of the bathroom. "Ahh oh ow!" Pain erupted in my shin as I hit it against the bed frame causing me to fall to the floor. Grumbling in annoyance I threw my hair brush across the room and army crawled to the dresser to use it as support to stand up. Screw this he's usually late anyway. Catching a glimpse in the mirror I wrinkled my nose at the amount of blush on my cheeks. Ugh can anything go my way today! Using my hands to fix the clown blush situation I sat on the bed just as I heard the front door open. Let the fireworks begin, I thought as I ran to the restroom.

———————-
This is way late I get it. Blame my absence on the depression, it's been wild. Here's a three part update for you guys leading up to the finale! Only a few more chapters until we reach the end of the first book in the "Sins" trilogy! Yes there will be two more books in this series. More information will be reavealed in the near future. Thank you guys for reading.

 Thank you guys for reading