Chapter 25

I grumbled in annoyance as I picked Tom's coat off the floor

I grumbled in annoyance as I picked Tom's coat off the floor. Sometimes in a hurry to get to work he just throws things around, probably because he knows I'll take care of it. I clutched the coat in my hands as I moved to pick up one of the kid's toys off the floor. As I did so I got a whiff of something sickeningly Sweet. I furrowed my brows and looked around for the source of the scent. Looking down in my arms I raised the coat to my nose and smelled it. I wrinkled my nose as I inhaled the pungent perfume. Why does Tom's work coat smell like perfume?

    A strange feeling welled up in my chest. Tom has been rather distant lately. It's like he was investing all his energy and focus into something else. I had assumed it was work, but there's no reason he should be coming home smelling like another woman. He couldn't possibly be messing around with someone could he? No, of course not, he wouldn't.

   A frown was ever present on my face as I tossed the jacket into the washing machine down stairs. The children were sound asleep upstairs so I thought I'd do a little washing. I've been trying to avoid Ms.Cole but the laundry was pileing up. I sighed as my mind began to jump to conclusions about the perfume. It's not like Tom would spray himself with it that's ridiculous, almost comical. However, I rather it be that than having it rubbed off on him by another woman. I picked up the book I brought with me and tried to get my mind off of Tom.

   I tried to catch my breath as I tossed the clean clothes on the bed. Sitting on my bed my eyes wandered to my sleeping babies in their cribs. We spend most of our time by ourselves while Tom is at work. He has a seriously long commute to work so I guess I understand why he's always late. You know what.... I've never actually visited Tom's job before. Would it be silly if I went to visit Tom at work? Without thinking I jumped up and began to dress in something presentable.

   My hands grew sweaty as I stood outside of Borgin and Burke's, wondering how Tom would react to me coming to visit him at work. Why am I so nervous? There's nothing wrong with visiting my husband at work, I thought as I replied a coat of red lipstick. Pushing up my breasts and little and mustering up a charming smile I opened the door and pushed the stroller inside. The musty old building tore my smile from my cherry red lips as I wrinkled my nose in distaste. Tom works in this old shack?

   Dingy old gadgets and gizmos lined the shelves in a disorderly manner. Dark magic seemed to radiate from them causing me to retreat the stroller carrying my young. My eyes darted around the small store in search of Tom. Maybe it was wrong to come here. What was I trying to accomplish by doing so? Am I expecting to find a logical reason for the perfume on his coat? He couldn't possibly- my thoughts were interrupted by a raspy voice. "Can I help you?" I turned around to see a burly older man with a cigar between his dry lips standing my the register. "Um yes," I said clearing my throat, eyeing the old man. "I'm actually looking for my husband Tom Riddle, he works here," I said as he looked me up and down, making me extremely uncomfortable.