Chapter 13 Part 4

This morning I woke up on Tom's chest as he slept peacefully beneath me. Strange how close we were physically but how far apart we seemed to be emotionally. We've known each other for going on 7 months now and still I feel as if I hardly know him, yet I think I do. I know who he is and what he is capable of, but what I still don't understand is why he is the way he is. I didn't want to get up from my position so close to him in fear of losing the warmth we shared, but I know classes would be beginning soon. Usually he is up before I am so it's strange he's still asleep. I pushed myself up slowly from my position and sat up. The babies began to kick suddenly and I smiled, maybe they liked being that close to him, as if they even knew. I rubbed my tired eyes as I looked around the room. Perhaps I could start keeping it a little neater. Maybe Tom's sudden affections yesterday make me more eager to please him. He did make sure to mention the condition of our living quarters was unsatisfactory. In the 1940's men expected women to know how to cook and clean. It would turn out that Tom's wife is definitely a little behind in that department. Upon checking the time I saw that it was a little too early to start getting ready, but I do have some time to clean.

    Cleaning while pregnant is tough. I can hardly bend over to grab something without feeling like I'm going to crush my twins. I straightened out the main room quite nicely before I moved to our bedroom in which Tom was still sound asleep. I sure wish Maggie would take care of this place. She told me I must learn to care for a household on my own now that I am married. I won't have her forever but can't we just get more house elves? Maybe not because of how easy Tom is to anger. We would go through house elves very fast unfortunately. Why can't he clean, it's not like he's the only one that goes to classes! I glared at his sleeping form before getting a mischievous idea. I know he has some shaving cream in here somewhere. 1940's shaving cream smells terribly of alcohol. Whenever he shaves his face he smells like strong cologne and alcohol, it makes me gag. Probably because strong scents make me nauseous due to my pregnancy. Otherwise I might think it was a quite alluring masculine smell. Upon finding his shaving cream I crept up next to him and stealthily pulled his arm off his chest so it was hanging off the bed. For a moment I started to think this was not a good idea, but I'm sure he won't be too angry right? It's not like he's going to do anything drastic. I snickered as I dispensed a large anount of the foam into his hand. I had to hold the neckline of my dress over my nose so I didn't smell it. I grabbed a quill off of the bedside table and slowly started to tickle his nose with it's feather. I watched as his nose twitched a bit and his still breathing stalled. I eagerly watched as he suddenly moved his arm with the cream in it, it moved towards his face but then quickly jerked back. I suddenly yelped in fright as it came barreling towards me and exploded all over my chest. His eyes snapped open as I started to laugh a little even though I was dissatisfied with my failed prank. "Ew!" I said as I quickly tried to rub off the cream with my hands. "I was raised in an orphanage with many unruly children Roslyn. You have to do a lot better than that to get the jump on me," he said smugly, but all I could think about was how nauseous I began to feel. "Roslyn?" He asked as I stood still trying not to fall over from how dizzy I felt. "I'm gonna be sick," I said before hurrying towards the restroom and throwing up. The scent was so powerful my head began to hurt. I stopped throwing up and began coughing. "Take off your dress," I heard Tom say as he crouched beside me. "No," I said as I pushed his hands away that were reaching for my dress. "You are covered in it you'll only-" he was cut off by me suddenly throwing up and missing the toilet so it was nearly on him. I heard him sigh obviously irritated. I didn't even fight him this time as he pulled at my night dress. "That shaving cream smells disgusting," I said as I reached for a towel to cover myself from his eyes even though he was turned away. "Well that backfired," I said with a laugh as I began to feel better as he used magic to clean up the mess. I sat on the bathroom floor covered in a towel as my dress laid at my feet. His glare directed on me pulled almost playful and I couldn't stop as I laughed even more. "Why couldn't you have just humored me," I said sarcastically. "I'm starting to wish that I had," he joked as he picked up my soiled dress. "Burn it," I said as I looked at it in disgust. "As you wish," he said as he walked out of the bathroom. Well that was a major fail, I'll find a way to prank him somehow.

I rushed to fasten my cloak as I hurriedly got ready to leave for class. I had to take a bath of course and that set me back on time. I tried to pull it around me but it wouldn't fasten. I frowned as I was nearly an inch from closing it properly. I had noticed it was getting tight but now it won't even fasten at all. "Roslyn we need to leave now," I heard Tom say from the other room. I suddenly began to feel enormous as I looked in the mirror at my robes which used to hang off me loosely. As I looked at my reflection I began to feel so insecure at the size of my belly. I have to remind myself I'm carrying twins and this is normal, but it doesn't stop me from tearing up as I again tried to close my robes. "What's the hold up?" I heard from behind me. I turned to him and showed him they weren't closing. "It's too tight," I said fighting back the urge to cry. He placed his potions book down on the bed and walked forward grabbing both ends of my robe attempting to close it. "Stop it won't work," I said pulling away from him. "I'm too big," I said as my voice cracked. "There's nothing to cry about you can wear one of mine," he said as he took off his robe. How embarrassing I'm so big I have to wear his robe. I hesitated before taking off my robe and taking his from him. Slowly I slipped it on and was barely able to clasp it. It was far too long and hugged my midsection far to much. "I look ridiculous," I said as I hiked it up above my feet. "It will have to do," Tom said as he shrugged on another robe. I took one more look in the mirror before following him out of the room. "Everyone already gives me odd looks just wait till they see me today," I muttered.

Throughout the day I could still smell the shaving cream all over me and it made me not even want to eat. "I smell like a man," I said as we sat down for dinner. "Well you do live with one," Tom remarked as he sat beside me. "Can I skip dinner?" I asked though I already knew the answer. His response was placing a spoonful of peas on my plate. I groaned as I looked at my dinner. I just want this pregnancy to be over already.