Phone call

I put the last dish in the dishwasher with a sigh.
  "You know, you really could've just gone" I said to Sam turning to him.
  "I would feel bad if I didn't help" he shrugs.
  "Why are you nice?" I scoff.
  "Sorry?" He laughs. "What do you want from me?"
  "Don't know" I laugh. "Thanks anyway."
  "No problem" he shrugs again.

  "Thanks for cleaning up guys" dad walks in from probably saying bye to everyone.
  "Thanks for making everything" we said in unison and look at each other. My dad laughs. Him and Sam talked a bit and he ended up liking him quite a lot. Like everyone.
  "You didn't have to stay back" my dad said to Sam.
  "I insisted it's fine" Sam tells him.
  "Well I'm exhausted. You kids have fun" he turns and goes into the living room.
  "Suck up" I mutter.
  "Sorry I'm nice unlike some people" he rolls his eyes I nudge him he laughs.
  "Shut up."
  "I can't" He responds.
  "Really?" I asked he nods and I scoff. I go out the back door he follows.
  "I honestly feel like you just want me from being so cool, and sexy, and amazing," I laugh out loud.
  "Dude! Try again" I laugh. I sit on the small pair of steps he sits next to me.
  "Jo, it's been 2 weeks and you're getting me to meet your family."
  "I brought like 4 other people" I roll my eyes at his annoying ass.
  "Were they mentally there thought?"
  "You need some serious help."

He laughs loudly. I look at him with a look then shake my head.
  "You looked like a disapproving mom there" he tells me.
  "Well I mean."
  "Excuse me. My mom is actually very proud in who I am" he tells me.
  "That's great then" I say.

He looks up into the sky silent.
  "Can I ask you something?" He asks.
  "I mean. I'm not sure I have a choice" I laugh. "So go ahead."
  "Where is your mom?"

And it felt like I was punched right into the gut. I immediately got flashbacks and felt tears. I needed to calm my nerves cause I felt the panic and anxiety.

I cough slightly.
  "You obviously don't have to answer" He looks at me probably noticing his hazel eyes looking worried, eyebrows knit knit together in confusion.
  "Uh, no. It's fine. It's just she's dead, she...she um died in a car accident" I look straight ahead.
  "Shit, I'm sorry" he sits up normally elbows no longer leaning against the high step.
  "Not your fault" I shake my head. "Kinda hare it when people say that."
  "Right, it's probably annoying sorry" he shakes his head. He looks at me again.
  "You wanna know how and all?" I asked.
  "No, i mean...it's none of my business. We have only known each other for 2 weeks," he says.
  "Nah it's fine" I wave it off. "I was actually in the accident" I sigh.
  "I saw the scar" he tells me. I had a faint scar on my leg because when my leg was caught and I moved it it just tore, and made the gash bigger.
  "Pretty Cool Right?" I asked.
  "Not really when you think about it" he says and I laugh.
  "Anyways, I was 13. It's pretty explanatory. We were hit and the car flipped completely, I had like a piece of the car stuck in my leg, my mom pretty much...died right away" I swallow but it felt like my throat was closing up. I'm surprised I had such the balls to tell him this. I guess I felt comfortable. It's been only 2 weeks. But he was easy to talk to.
  "That sucks" he says. I nod.
  "Kinda Yeah" I reply.
  "I mean if you wanna like talk about anything else about it. You can talk to me" he tells me. "I know, that and be easy to deal with."
  "Yeah I'm fine" I shake it off.
  "You aren't" he responds. And I give him a look. "How can you be after pretty much seeing your mom die. You don't have to lie, I'm not dumb."
  "I don't like talking about it."
  "Have you even tried?" He asks. "Cause it helps some people."
  "I'm not an open person," I mutter he nods.
  "Makes sense" he shrugs. "And that's fine."

He looks at me. And honestly I felt like bursting into tears right there. But I didn't want to be a puss. I blink vigorously looking away. I felt my breathing become a little hectic.

  "Are you okay?" He asks.
  "Yeah" and of corse my voice cracked a bit. Jo! You've known this guy how long. You'll scare him away he's just a friend, not a best friend. You haven't known him that long that you can just go cry to. Jeez.
  "Jo" he says.
  "I'm fine Sam" I said.
  "Okay."

I'm so glad he didn't push.
  "It's getting darker," I start. "Do you need to be home?"
  "Uh, yeah probably" he stands up I follow. "Thanks for tonight" he says when we walk in and to the front door. Dad was watching tv. He says goodbye to Sam.
  "Yeah no problem" I nod. "I'll see you later" I said he nods.
  "See you" he says then leaves. I immediately run upstairs to my room. I lick the door. I sit on my bed and start crying. Why? Why right now. Jesus Jo.

I cover my face crying. I hate crying. And I hate everything.

After another 20 minutes of crying my phone started ringing. Huh? I wipe away the tears and grab my phone answering without looking at who it is.
  "Hello?" I answer.
  "Sorry" I heard Sam's voice. Huh?
  "Wrong person?" I asked.
  "No, I'm sorry for asking about your mom. And getting you upset" he says.
  "You didn't" I lie. It wasn't him. It was just the conversation.
  "I can hear it in your voice" he tells me. I hate that we've known each other for so little and he already knows me good enough.
  "You're hearing wrong cause I'm fine" I mutter biting my lip. I cough to get the crying out of there.
  "Don't lie to me" he mutters. "Idiot."
  "I'm not. Idiot" I respond.
  "I'm not dumb."
  "Sometimes."
  "You forgive me?" He asks.
  "You never did anything wrong" I reply with an eye roll.
  "I brought up a sore topic, sorry I have no filter" he mumbles.
  "You still didn't do anything wrong" I tell him.
  "Well good, that means you forgive me" I could literally hear the smirk on his beautiful face.
  "You're annoying."
  "You like it."
  "Oh my god you completely wish" I scoff with an eye roll he can't see.
  "Mhmm" he hums. "Whatcha doin?"
  "Talking to you dumbass" I mutter.
  "I meant before" I could see him rolling his eyes.
  "Just sitting here" I shrugged.
  "Cool" he mutters. "And boring."
  "Thanks" I nod even though he can't see. "I mean you did leave only like 30 minutes ago" I add.
"Right, So when I leave you have to be boring. Sucks for you for you" he says.
"You do realize you're like a huge asshole?" I asked.
"I do realize" he replies. "But what would you like me to do about it. So are you."
"Excuse me" I mutter.
"You just called me one" he says.
"Suck my dick."
"You don't have one. So I can't, but I would love to," he tells me I roll my eyes but laugh.
"I'm pretty sure you have an obsession with me" I sigh. "Or else you wouldn't have called to say sorry."
"I mean, I'm a good person so yes. I would have" he states. "But if you prefer that. It's all good too."
"We have school tomorrow right?" I asked.
"Yeah it's Monday" he sighs. I heard shuffling in the background and then a little thump.
  "Shit. I completely forgot about the math thing" I groan.
  "You can copy off mine" he says. I fall onto my back.
  "Thanks."
  "No problem."
  "I heard Tiffany is having a party Friday. You going?" I ask.
  "I don't know, are you?" He asks back.
  "I don't know" I shrugged. "Austin and Stella will probably want to go."
  "Yeah I mean. It would be my first party here" he says.
  "True."
  "Wanna go with me?" I could hear the grin on his face.
  "You're dumb" I mutter he laughs.
  "Why. I just asked if you wanted to come with me" he tells me.
  "In the creepiest way" I roll my eyes with a laugh.
  "Whatever" he laughs more. "Want to?" He asks.
  "Who even asks someone to go to a party with them? Unless you're dating" I mutter.
  "Oh my god Jo, you're coming alright?"
  "Fine" I sigh.
  "Don't act like it's the hardest thing you've done" he says.
  "It is" I mutter.
  "Shut up."
  "I can't" I mock him.
  "Whatever" he mocks.
  "I'm hanging up now" I said.
  "Alright. I'll see you tomorrow" he replies.
  "Yeah bye" I say and we hang up.

I put my phone down and grab my laptop. Probably gonna watch office or some movies through-out tonight. Insomnia is gonna kick in again.

************************

A/N

Guys I already have like 100 and something views. Thank you so much!! I really hope you enjoy this book. And it may seem like it's moving fast. Believe me it isn't. It might take a while. Cause I've got new characters on the way. Anyways, tell me your thoughts and all. Enjoy. Xoxo.

-Jana🤙🏽