One Last BBQ

I squint as the sun hits my eyes while I lay on my towel on the beach. I was sweating balls but it was a nice day for tanning. Austin was right next to me while Sam, Caleb and Kyle were laughing pushing each other around like boys.

I sit up grabbing my water and drinking it.
  "Hey! Finally you're tan" Austin exclaims and I look at him. "Took you half the summer."
  "Ya whatever," I wave him off he laughs. "I don't tan easily, I have very fair skin."
  "Yeah, you're just a tad bit darker than milk" Sam shows up.
  "Oh fuck off," I roll my eyes he laughs with Austin. "You two are trash."
  "Well... we aren't wrong," Austin says. Sam sits next to me on his own towel.
"Doesn't mean you don't look good," Sam adds.
"Exactly," Austin agrees.
"Whatever. I don't mind my fair skin," I shrug.
"No one said you should," Sam chuckles he looks around the beach. "What's the temperature today? It's fucking hot" he sighs.
"High," I mumble and he looks at me.
"Wow thanks," he says and I laugh.
"I can't believe we're like half way through summer guys. Then we got grade 12! Senior year.. I don't know how I feel about that," Austin sighs eyes closed while tanning.
"Yeah, we have to soon start thinking about getting our lives together. I'm not prepared," I say.
"Right, I don't even like school I'm not going far" Sam laughs.
  "We're all not going far," Austin groans.
  "We aren't even in school yet, shut up," I sigh. I lay back down the sun burning into me.
  "Your face is red," Sam says and I open my eyes regretting it from the sun. "Like.... you're so burnt it's gonna kill," he laughs a bit.
  "Eh whatever," I shrug.
  "Put yogurt on it," Austin says.
  "Ew no thanks," I mutter and Sam lays his head down on my stomach and stretches his body out.
  "It helps!" Austin shrugs.
  "But I don't want yogurt on my body," I mumble.
  "You're so picky," he shakes his head. "It's organic."
  "Ew, since when we're you a whole foods type of gal," I said and Sam laughs.
  "Shut up!" Austin says.
  "Well," I shrug and run a hand through Sam's hair.
"It's fucking hot," Caleb comes up breathless his hair wet. "The sand is hell."
"Don't step on it," I reply and he rolls his eyes and drops to his towel. "Where's Kyle?" I asked.
"He stopped by a girl on his way," Caleb says and I roll my eyes.
"Speaking of girls, can you ask Mandy out," I blurt and Austin turns to me.
"Why?" Caleb asks. "Is she into me?" He questions eagerly.
"Are you into her?" I question back with a grin.
"I asked first," he mutters like a kid.
"Jo, shut up!" Austin says.
"What!! It's been too long and she's desperate and Caleb you need someone finally," I shrug Sam looks up at me and laughs.
"So she likes me?" He holds back a bit of a smile.
"Oh my god obviously," I roll my eyes. "Do you?"
"Ya she's alright," he shrugs.
"You're such a guy," I give him a look. "It's yes or no, not she's alright or she's hot."
"I guess I don't know!" He shrugs.
"So ask her out," I sigh.
"Ya, not that hard" Sam adds shading his eyes while looking at Caleb.
"Is it not weird. She's part of the group. We don't need two couples to annoy everyone," he says.
"You're scared!" Sam smirks.
"No!" He scoffs back.
"Yeah you are. Why? She likes you she's obviously gonna say ya," Sam says.
"I'm not. I will," he shrugs looking away.
"Good," I say. "So problem solved. Where is she anyway?" I asked Austin.
"She was busy with her mom or something," he tells me I nod.
"When's the barbecue?" Sam asks me.
"At 5:00," I mumble. "who's down to get Dutch Bros and leave?" I asked.
"Yes," most reply and Kyle walks up.
"We're leaving," Caleb tells him. Sam gets off of me grabbing his shirt and putting it on... sadly. I stand grabbing my clothes and Austin just stays shirtless.
"Are we doing anything?" Kyle asks.
"Dutch Bros," I say grabbing my bag.
"Dude your face is fucking burnt," he laughs.
"Whatever, leave me alone" I wave him off.
"She's gonna put yogurt on it," Sam puts his arm around me and I laugh but Austin rolls his eyes flipping us both off. Kyle looked confused.
"Shut up and let's go," Austin starts walking with his stuff in hand and we all follow.