Santa Monica

I wake up to the sun shining into the room, I squint looking around and Austin was right next to me lightly snoring. I grab my phone rubbing my eyes. It was 10:32. I slide out of bed, grab some clothes and my toothbrush and go to the bathroom. I've visited here before, many times actually, especially when I was younger. I take a quick shower, get dressed and brush my teeth. I head downstairs and into the kitchen where I heard talking.

  "Morning" I walk in and dad and grandma turn to me. Grandma Allison smiles widely.
  "Morning sweetie" she says. She wasn't just as old as the other grandparents my age. Because she had my mom at a young age, then mom had me at a young age. So ya know. I've never had a grandpa, long story short he was a dick apparently when my mom was young and all. "Want anything to eat?"
  "Nah, I'm good thanks" I go over to the coffee machine.
  "Look at how old you've gotten?" She stands next to me.
  "I know, I'm an old bag now" I joke she laughs.
  "Where's Austin?" She asks.
  "You're favourite adopted grandson you mean?" I laugh. "He's still asleep, he'll be up in a bit we stayed up late."
  "Have you been sleeping well?" She asks me as I make my coffee. Um, never. But I don't tell her that, dad's around anyways and doesn't really know that either.
  "Yeah," I shrug. "It's been decent."
It has been better, but I still stay up most of the night.
  "Good, good," she nods and I sit down.
  "Morning!!" Austin makes an entrance I roll my eyes but let out a laugh.
  "Morning hun" Grandma smiles.
  "Hey, grams" he says and I shake my head he sits next to me.
  "So," grams sits down with us. "I heard you have a special someone."
  "No I don't," Austin shakes his head I push him he laughs.
  "Dad told you?" I asked looking over to dad who shrugged while drinking his coffee.
  "What's his name? Or hers?" She asks.
  "Sam, I mean dad might as well be dating him. They're obsessed with each other," I said she laughs.
  "Sorry I'm more likeable than you Jo," he laughs. "Always have been, where do you think you get it from."
  "Shut up," I roll my eyes and he laughs.
  "You're not allowed to tell your parents to shut up," he tells me.
  "Already did" I grin. "Me and Austin are gonna go to the beach today is that okay?" I asked.
  "Yeah, do whatever you want. Bring Caleb along too," dad tells me. Austin groans.
  "He's too much of a... boy for us," Austin says.
  "You'll live," dad shrugs, "Plus, Lila and Luke are coming over so doubt he wants to be here with us."
  "Yeah, we will. Have fun" I stand Austin follows and we head upstairs.
  "Do we have to??" he whines like a child dropping on the bed once we get to the room.
  "Maybe he'll say no to us," I shrug pulling out my bathing suit and grabbing Austin's too and throwing it at him.
  "Hopefully," he mumbles. I go to the washroom and change and then put on a t-shirt type dress over top. I head out and Austin fully dressed with his things.

I quickly send Caleb a text asking if he wants to come.
  "He's not replying" I mumble.
  "Good, lets go" Austin chirps I roll my eyes.
  "Let's go to their house, it's not that far we can walk" I tell him.
  "It's like a billion degrees outside, all this for Caleb?" He questions.
  "He's our friend, calm down" I nudge him grabbing my bag and putting on some sandals. "Let's kick it."
  "Don't" he laughs and I do to and we leave.

Their house was only like... 10 minutes away. But in this heat, it was more like 10 miles away. We knock on the door and Lila opens it.
  "Hey guys!" She chirps.
  "Hey," I smile. "Dad, told us to invite Caleb with us to the beach. I texted him, he didn't reply" I roll my eyes she shakes her head.
  "Come in, you can go up to his room and ask," she rolls her eyes, "he's been hard to deal with because he wants his guy friends."
  "Yeah, he's always been annoying," Austin says she laughs and we head up to his room after she tells us where it is.
  "You better be decent, we're coming in" I push the door open and he was still asleep sprawled across his bed.
  "Water?" Austin grins.
  "Or just beat him with a pillow" I laugh. We both grab pillows that were on the ground and beat him with them awake.
  "Guys, guys, STOP!" He jolts away pushing us away. We both laugh really hard he glares.
  "We're going to the beach asshat. We texted you asking if you wanna come. So?" We question.
  "Um... I'll pass" he rolls his eyes.
  "So, you're gonna be lame and sit here for 2 weeks straight?" I asked he nods.
  "Suit yourself" Austin rolls his eyes. "Once in a lifetime opportunity."
  "I see you guys everyday, no it's not" he mumbles.
  "Ok, see you later loser" I shrug turning around and we leave as he goes back to sleep.
  "Thank the lord," Austin praises I laugh, we say bye to them and leave for the 5 minute walk to the beach in this too hot weather.

When we did get there it was packed with people, which was... annoying but it's California and the beach and even better summer. We found a spot, stripped and lied down on our towels.

  "It's a beautifully hot day in California... where we're living life," Austin smiles at the sun I laugh.
  "Yeah, living the California life.." I laugh.
  "Yup, and guess what we're gonna get after this?" He looks over at me with a mischievous grin.
  "Oh god," I shake my head.
  "Starbucks!!" He exclaims and I shake my head but laugh.
  "I'm pretty sure you were meant for California," I tell him.
  "I'm surprised Caleb isn't. He was born here," he says I nod.
  "Yeah, but raised in New York so," I shrug. I already felt the burn coming onto my skin.
  "He's lame."
I laugh. I look around to all the people around the beach and I see this girl yell and run and then a guy lifts her up. Like a scene from the cheesiest movie. Literally.
  "I think I might go swim," I look at Austin whose eyes were closed he nods. He grabs his earphones from his bag.
  "Have fun," he tells me.
  "I will," I stand. I step onto the sand and it immediately burns my feet. I start walking towards the water.

When I get to the water I put my feet in and relaxation fills my body and I submerge my whole body into the water. I duck under for a second then surface. It was perfectly chilled for this billion degree day. It felt silent, although there were a lot of people talking and around. But it was nice. And that was ruined by someone yelling.

  "Heads up!" Someone yells and I see the ball and catch it before I can duck or get it by it and the guy seemed surprised by that. "Nice one," he wasn't too far away.
  "Thanks," I reply and throw it back over to them. The guy stares at me. "Take a picture... it'll last longer."
He laughs, his hair was wet and a dark shade of brown, and he was tall the water which came up to just below my boobs came up to not even half his torso. He obviously worked out by his abs and muscular arms. He was squinting at me because of the sun.
  "Wanna join?" He asks motioning to his friends. His friends turn to me and one of them almost gawks. Never seen a girl before? Guys. There were 2 more of them. One being blonde, kind of like Caleb... but almost platinum. He was tall, skinny aka lanky. The other who was gawking was a little shorter than the other two, super tan, dark hair almost black and brown eyes. Muscular as well.
  "No, I'm fine" for some odd reason... it didn't feel right because Sam was all the way in New York and I was here almost playing ball with guys in the water. Not like I liked them, or anything or even anything would happen... it was just... weird. I don't know why. I didn't even find the guys attractive.
  "Why not? We've only got three players. Might as well make it even," gawking guy says. I stare at them for another second.
You're playing with a ball in water, you're not having sex with all of them, it would be fine.
  "Fine, sure" I nod. I was that girl, I was one of the guy. It didn't matter, I doubt Sam would even care.
  "Cool, well I'm Brandon," first guy says. "That's Nate," blondie, "And Dylan," gawker.=
  "I'm Jo," I said. "What are we playing?" I asked.
  "Volleyball... without the net..." Brandon tells me with a confused look himself.
  "Cool, which side am I on," I asked.
  "You can be on mine," Dylan smirks.
  "I'm the one with no person... idiot," Brandon says and I take the place next to him.
And we played volleyball. It was fun, they were nice honestly.

~

  "I think I should go on Grindr," Austin tells me as we drink slushies while walking on the Santa Monica Pier. I laugh.
  "Why? You're only 17" I tell him he shrugs.
  "It's kind of hard to find a gay guy lately. And I want one," he tells me.
  "I can help you find one," I shrug.
  "I mean, I know you can't just guess if a guys gay or not. But there are ways, unless you really want to go on Grindr," I laugh.
  "Yeah. I'll have to think about it," he laughs to. I sit down on a bench and he sits with me. "Do you miss Sam?"

  "I talked to him last night. And it's like my first real day away from home. I think I'll be good until tonight," I say and he sighs with a grin.
  "Do you love him?" He asks.
  "I don't know," I admit.
  "Close enough I guess," he grins I laugh shaking my head. "Let's go back. I'm hot as balls and want to take a shower," he tells me. "Also, you think any of those guys are gay today?"
  "Honestly, no" I shake my head as we stand to leave.
  "Damnit, they were all hot" he sighs. He was talking about the volleyball guys.

**********************************************

A/N

So, I FINALLY updated. Sorry for taking so long. I've had a little bit of writers block, and I've been dealing with some shit. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. It's honestly not one of my bests but more to come. Tell me your thoughts, you know my usual drill with this shit. Enjoy. Xoxo.

-Jana❤️