Chapter 5

(Anna)

I haven't dreamt in a long time. Somewhere in my mind, I had learned to turn off the fantasies and the nightmares. 

So when I dreamt of a strangers hand coming towards me in guidance, I held on. I took his hand, pale and smooth, and let him lift me up. I couldn't see his face, only that he was tall and slender. He was shrouded in shadow, but his hand firmly grasped mine. I tried to get him to look at me, talk to me, but no sound came from my actions. He just kept pulling me along. I tried to get him to stop. If I left they would come after me, hunt me down, and kill this man, whoever he was. I tried to pull back, but I was weak compared to him. But I kept trying.

Up ahead, a small dot of light invaded the darkness. It grew larger. I knew if I went towards that light, I- we- were doomed. I pulled and screamed. My scream broke through some invisible sound barrier, echoing into the void. It sounded pained, scared, and desparate. Much like the screams I let out when I was "experimented" on. 

The man, obviously hearing my scream, stopped and spun around to face me. But the shadow still shrouded him. Everything but his eyes at least. His ice blue eyes. I was drawn in by this man's intense gaze. He looked worried, sad, confused even. Then, suddenly he whipped around to face the light coming towards us. It was much larger now, racing towards us. I could feel the tension in the hand that held mine. 

He spun back around, and enveloped me in his slender, comforting arms, burying my head in his cheast. I felt something fall on my head, I stole a peak up at this beautiful man, his face slightly more visible now. But somehow still- fuzzy. I felt another drop on my forehead. He was crying. He looked down at me with those eyes and put his hand on the back of my head, once again burying my face in his sweet scent. He held on tighter.

But that still didn't stop me from seeing the light rush towards us with a roar, and envelope us in its terrible might. 

*******

I woke up, violently sitting up in bed, tangled in my thin blanket. I was gasping for air. I fell of the springy cot and clawed at the floor and then my chest. Why couldn' t I breathe?! 

Tears were streaming down my face, but I still could not manage any air into my lungs. I crawled on my stomach to my cell door and attempted, probably in vain, to knock on the door. I tried to yell for help, but that only made it worse. I continued to beat on the door.

Little white lights were starting to dance in my vision. My knocks were getting weaker. But I had to try. I couldn't die. Not after everything I've been through. Not after all of this. 

My head was dizzy and the white lights took over my vision. I slide down onto the floor, ending up on my size, wheezing for just the tiniest whisp of air. I faintly hear the door open. But that's probably just my imagination. 

The last thing I remember before everything went black was a pair of ice blue eyes looking down at me. 

*******

I wake up in my cell.

Im in my uncomfortable cot, and my thin, fraying blanket lies on top of me. I slowly sit up. Was it all a dream? I feel fine. I actually feel the greatest I've felt in a long time. 

And that's when I hear someone cough behind me. 

I whip around to see a man in a lab coat sitting in a fold-out chair in the corner of my cell. He's smiling, as if relieved. 

"Glad to see you're awake. You gave us quite a scare." He looks at me accusingly. 

I wrap my blanket around me and scoot to the edge of my cot furthest away from him. From Dr. Pine, the man who runs most of my tests, and who is a little to handsy when he's alone with me. 

And right now we are very alone. 

"Wha-What happened?" My throat is dry.

Dr. Pine gets up and walks slowly towards me. I scoot further back on my cot, but it is useless. He's at the edge of my cot now. He reaches his hand out towards my face and I flinch away. 

"Now, now. I just want to have a look at you." He grabs my chin and inspects me slowly, turning my face left and right as if checking for bruises. He lets go. But then he runs the back of his hand from my forehead, down my cheek, then arcross my jawline, and then to my collarbone. He then puts my hair behind my left hear, and settles his hand at the back of my neck. 

He sighs. "You know, under different circumstances, I feel that you and I would get along very well, if you know what I mean." He smiles slyly, sliding his hand down to my shoulder. 

"I know exactly what you mean," I push his hand away in disgust. "And I highly disagree." 

"Hmph." He steps back and looks at me in all my defiance. "It's a shame really. I quite liked you. You put up a fight. I like that in a girl." He flashes his uneven, yellowing teeth at me. Then he started towards my cell and opened the door. 

Just before he closed it, I yelled for him to wait. "What's a shame?" I asked.

"Oh," he looked me straight in the eye. "That we shaint be needing you much longer."

And he shut the door.