Chapter 52

(Loki)

I had been sitting on my bed for hours now, in the spot she had died, after she had been taken away.

Heimdall stormed into my chambers, but I didn't look up until he was right in front of me.

"I'm not in the mood Heimdall." I said nonchalantly.

"I am well aware of that my king. But there is a problem. A very big problem."

I looked up at him, with barely enough energy to do so. I stood up and brushed off my clothes. I walked towards the wardrobe and noticed a knife mark in it, as if it had been thrown. I clenched my fists. I turned to the bed to look at Anna, and my heart broke when, not finding her there, I remembered she was dead.

"My King."

"What? Is it something I really need to handle?" I said angrily. I just wanted to forget the world at this moment.

"It's Jotunheim."

I spun around to look at him, my face anxious. "What about it?"

"I'm not sure. But there's a very strong disturbance. And they all seem to be looking this way." He said.

"That's not very specific, now is it?" I turned back to the wardrobe, losing interest.

"Have you ever known me to be wrong?" I stopped, and glanced back at him, both us knowing that he was NEVER wrong. "Something's not right out there. Something unnatural. That's why I can't see it clearly. I would highly suggest putting the shields up, my lord." Now his face was anxious.

"Warn the people first. I won't leave them out there if we do get attacked. Expand the lower levels of the castle. There should still be enough room for them. Then we can put the shields up." He began to walk away. "Heimdall!" he turned to face me, nearly at the door. "If you find anything else, come to me immediately." I ordered. He nodded his head and walked away.

I slunk back on to the bed. This was the last thing I needed. Why now? I rubbed my face in my hands.

But then I kept remembering that they would burn Anna tonight.

I had asked for her to be laid in a boat and sent off, just like any Asgardian, so that she would become a part of the stars.

And then the physician came in.

I had to greatly resist the urge to kill him.

"We need to talk." He said, his hands in his coat pocket.

"No. You need to talk. And fast." I pointed at him. "Before I kill you."

He scrunched his eyebrows together, clearly not approving of my threat. "It had to be done Loki. For one of two reasons."

"I'm waiting." I crossed my arms, to help myself from reaching out and strangling him.

"Someone attacked her."

"I've figured that out, thank you."

"Well, what they attacked her with was a toxic poison. It was a perfect mix of the blood from people from all nine worlds. A single drop could have killed the strongest of species. I don't know how a human lasted as long as she did." He actually looked sad that she had suffered that long. She was trying to live, was all I could think.

I had heard of this poison before. And it was highly dangerous and very hard to get your hands on. And I also knew that there wasn't very much of it. It was ancient and feared. Whoever attacked Anna used up the whole supply, considering the empty syringe that had been found in my chamber.

"So there would have been no way for her to survive it? Even if I had gotten there the moment it entered her system?" I looked at the ground.

"No." My heart sank on that single syllable. "Not unless she would have had the blood from two different worlds in her veins already. And you know how rare that is."

He was right. There were only about the three beings in all of the nine worlds who had parents from different worlds. Very few hybrids like that ever survived infancy.

"I'll be there tonight." He said.

I nodded my head silently at him, and then he began to walk away.

"Wait!" he stopped at the sound of my voice and turned around to look at me, an inquisitive look on his face. "What was the other reason?" I asked.

The color drained from his face.

"Oh. It doesn't matter now. She never would have survived that poison." He looked like he was about to lose his stomach.

I walked towards him angrily. "I understand that. But the way you talk, you talk as if she had to die." I grabbed on to the shirt, pulling him up to me. "I want to know why." My eyes were probably red by now, slowly turning into the monster that I was.

"She was dangerous. To you and to all of Asgard." He said shakily.

"BUT WHY?" I yelled in his face.

He was shaking all over now. My face must be blue, literally, because I saw the color begin to peak on my wrists from under my sleeve.

"Because black auras mean black magic." I dropped him. You didn't talk about black magic lightly. It was the way of the demons. He resumed speaking. "A long time ago, I knew that Laufey mixed his blood into a potion that he made using dark magic, basically trying to create the perfect, evil child. It would be biologically his, but was technically a test-tube baby." He took a breath. "But that baby was killed long ago."

I stood, astonished at him. "Then why even make that an option?" I yelled.

"Just in case it wasn't true!" he yelled back. "Just in case that baby never was actually killed. But the option was ruled out because had she been this child, she would have the blood of at least a Frost-giant and a demon, meaning she would have survived the potion."

I thought for a moment. "But that still doesn't explain the black aura the two of us had together." I told him, anger setting back in.

"That was a theory of why. That maybe you could only see her black aura if she was with someone with as great of power as her. As if it amplified her own capabilities." He sighed. "The only theory I have now is that the two of you had such great power together. As if it were two positive charges colliding, about to explode. It's happened before. And if you'd stayed together much longer, especially since you moved her to your room," he gave me a reprimanding look. "Terrible things would have begun to happen."

So much information, so many 'what ifs'. "Such as?" I rubbed my temples.

"Such as,"he paused. "All the beings either of you have killed come back to life. After they come back, other dead, very bad beings start to come back. And each one that comes back is harder to kill. And the first thing they want is to get revenge. And that's just the beginning. It only gets worse after that." He said solemnly.

My head was pounding. "What happens after that?" I asked.

"No one knows. Only two beings have been made of dark magic and been put together before. And that was in your grandfather's days. They were killed before it got any worse. But the nine worlds came this close," he put his thumb and pointer finger together, about a centimeter apart. "To falling apart into the chaos that had been created, and being destroyed."

I took a deep breath, trying to clear my head. "So your saying that we got lucky?"

"Absolutely."

I nodded and shooed him off. My mind was on overload with all this new information. I plopped down on the bed, sprawled out, and closed my eyes.

"Loki?" I heard from the door.

"What?" I said, sleep coming for me.

"If it had been the other situation, I still would have acted the way I did. I would have picked you over her any day."

I didn't know whether to smile or cry as sleep took me in its arms.