Chapter 50

(Anna)

At some point I had blacked out. Or maybe I was dead, I wasn't quite sure. But the moment my eyes opened, a new wave of pain rushed through my body, bringing out more sceams and a fresh set of tears.

Unconciousness took me once agian.

********

(Loki)

It had been a long, tiring day and I was ready for it to end.

I had spent the entire day out at the battle field, watching over my armies, telling them what to do, what to train for. I very rarely saw Borin, and at one point, I lost track of him alltogether. Today, new recruits had been added. The strongest and smartest men that could be found. They were willing to fight because of the high pay. And I had to be there. I had to show them that I was not a tyrannical king, but a king who would fight by their side.

And train by their side.

I was sore and tired. I hadn't done actual combat in a long time, at least not without the aid of my magic. I appreciated the gift I had even more at times like this, where I was forced to practically downgrade myself to a lower form of combat.

I stretched out my back and popped my neck on the way back to the castle. It always seemed like a longer walk on the way back. I reached the castle doors after what seemed like eternity, and stolled in. There was a servent there, waiting to hand me some water. I took it from her, welcoming the cool liquid in my mouth. With in seconds, I had drained the glass and handed it back to the servent, who then gave me an apple. I took that and walked away, taking a large bite as I headed towards the hall that, in turn led to the staircase, that again led to my chambers.

I had almost forgotten that Anna was there.

Something inside me fluttered, but I pushed it back down. I could not and would not have feelings for this girl. For this Midgardian. For this mere mortal. It was ill-conceived.

And I didn't need love.

It was a distraction and a weakness. I had seen what it had done to others and I refused to fall into the same trap.

I finally reached my chambers, having to push the doors open myself.

I dropped the apple and ran to her the instant I saw her convulsing on the floor, panic instantly flooding my mind. I slid down to the ground, yelling for the guards.

Yelling and yelling and yelling.

She was unconscious and shaking. The two didn't make a good combination in medical terms. She was curled up in a tight ball, all of her muscles clenched. Her viens were a sickly black color, and they almost seemed to be pulsing under her skin. It wasn't until I saw a drop of water fall on her cheek, that I realized I was crying. Why was I crying? This girl meant nothing to me. Absolutely nothing.

But she reminded me of me.

When the guards finally came, weapons drawn, I screamed for them to get the physician, my eyes blurred with tears and my voice hot with anger. When I reached down to pick Anna up, she shot awake, taking a huge gasp of air and spasming. I tried to hold her still, but she just screamed screams of pure agony that broke my heart into a million infinite pieces. She was crying and trying to hold herself together.

"No. Stop!" She got out. It seemed that everytime she moved, a new wave of pain invaded her body.

I tried not to let her see my tears as I whispered in her ear as she screamed at another wave of pain, "I'll be quick." And I scooped her up in my arms as carefully as I could and carried her over to the bed, lying her down gently. She was trying to hold in her screams, trying to be stong. But whatever was happening on the inside of her body was clearly visible through the veins etched out on her skin.

The physician finally arrived, running as fast as an old man could run. He immediately went to Anna, never stopping to glance my way. She was screaming at him to make it stop, over and over again, tears continuing to disfigure her face.

He pulled up her arm examining it, ignoring the horrible scream that erupted from her throat. He then dug something out of his pocket and plunged it straight into her heart.

I didn't have time to stop him.

My mouth hung open in disbelief for a moment before I rushed at him, shoving him aside, the syringe falling from his hand.

I took Anna's lifeless face in my hands, her veins turning back to their original, translucent color, but her face becoming a sickly pale one. I shook my head vigorously, refusing to believe she was dead. "No." I whispered over and over.

I set Anna down gently on the bed, wiping the tears from her face. Then, I whipped around to face the physician, hatred filling my face. He just looked at me with sad eyes.

"It had to be done." That was all he said before he left me there, as I dropped to my knees and put my face in my hands, letting the tears flow freely.