Chapter 36

(Loki)

I had ordered for the guards to put Anna in a cell so that she could cool down.

And so that she could learn a lesson.

I had the physician examine her when she was unconscious, guards at the ready, just in case she woke up.

He confirmed my fears.

"There's nothing physically wrong with her, my lord. It's spiritually that's the problem." He was a good man, getting up there in years, but well trusted among the kingdom.

"Is there anything to do? Anything to fix it?" I asked. My head still ached. Damn Midgard.

"I'd need to know more about her personally. And what has happened since she began showing these strange signs." he said solemnly.

"Very well, you --"

"The girl's awake, your Majesty." Interrupted a guard.

I nodded at the physician as I stood from my throne. "Follow me." I didn't need to look back to know that he had followed my order.

**********
When we arrived in the cell block, I ignored the other prisoners as they glared at me. Instead I headed straight for Anna's cell, which was in solitude.

The guards opened the doors that led to her cell, and I immediately noticed the damage.

The cell she was contained in was no longer in the orderly fashion I knew it had been put in. The table and chairs were in shreds, the bed's feathers were strewn about the cell, the nightstand had been burned, there were scorch marks on the walls, and large puddles of water in the floor.

But then there was Anna.

She was simply lying on her stomach, her legs crossed behind her at the ankles. And she was reading one of the books that had been left for her.

I was at a loss for words.

She didn't look up until I was directly in front of the shimmering wall. She had to crane her neck to look at me. She apparently found that uncomfortable, so she rolled on to her back and looked at me upside down.

"Sorry about your furniture." She said lightly. And I heard the physician stifle a laugh behind me.

I couldn't help but to smile as well.