Chapter 9

(Loki)

"Hey, Macner! Wait up!" I was back in my guard disguise. I guessed no none would find the bodies for a while. And if they did, they wouldn't have any idea who did it. There weren't any cameras in the vicinity, which I found very odd, but found it a good omen.

"Hey, man! It's been lonely down here! What you been up to?" He picked at something in his teeth.

"Oh, just something I had to take care of. Not a big deal. They told me to come down here and help you. They said the beast can get kind of crazy during the night hours." I patted my holster, grinning at him.

"Good! maybe I won't fall asleep then!" he laughed like he had told the best joke in the world.

I simply rolled my eyes.

Then, at the end of the hall, the elevator opened. Two men dressed the same as Macner and I can out and began to walk towards us.

"Your guys turn." One of the men pointed at us.

"Got it!" Macner saluted and began towards the elevator. I followed, not looking back.

"Oh hey! I forgot you guys are new!" Said on wife the men, and he came jogging back towards us. "Don't let it get a full nights sleep. You can't go it it's cell but you can mess with it. Yell, pound on the door. That sort of thing. Not all night. But you catch my drift." And he walked away.

"Man! this just keeps getting better!" Macner grinned widely and resumed his trek towards the elevator. I followed, vowing to let Anna get a full nights sleep.

*****

The elevator had taken us deep underground and the temperature had dropped a few degrees because of it. When we stepped out of the elevator, there was a long dark hallway that was dimly lit. And at the end of it was a single door.

We headed towards it.

And Macner immediately began to pound on the door.

"Hey, you! Better not be sleepin'!" When he turned around, laughing, to look at me, he got a fist in the nose.

He fell to the ground, holding his bloody nose. Before he could say anything, I kicked him in the face and he fell unconscious.

Fate was again on my side as I looked up at the cameras and noticed the light of the one pointing towards the door wasn't on, meaning it wasn't working. I laughed in spite of myself.

I moved Macner out of the way and say down by the door, my gun in my lap.

*****

What felt like hours later, I woke up to hear a voice.

A female voice.

I whipped around, and sure enough, I could hear Anna talking. I put my ear to the door because her voice was faint from the thickness of the door.

"Hello? Is anyone out there? I've usually only gotten a couple of hours of sleep, now I've gotten more than 6 solid hours. It's not like you guys....Anyone there?"

Why would she want to know? Why not just enjoy the nights rest and fall back asleep?

And then it occurred to me.

It gives her hope.

Hope to know things are getting better. And that maybe she can have dreams instead of nightmares.

And then I heard her crying.

I almost spoke out to her, wanted to comfort her. To tell her that this would all soon be over.

But would it?

Or was I just entering her in a different kind of hell?

I closed my mouth, backed away from the door, and sighed.

And then I heard the elevator.