Chapter 66

(Anna)

Loki simply got up and walked out of the room.

I didn't know whether to follow or just let him be. I looked at Maly.

"So all of this is really true?" I asked.

"I wouldn't make it up, my dear." She nodded in the direction Loki had went. "Take care of him." She said it in a way that made me think she wasn't just talking about now, but forever.

I got up and hopped over the seats. As I headed towards the door, I had one more thought. I stopped and turned to Maly, who was still in her seat. "I understand the enemies-soulmates deal, but how is that a bad thing? If it is it's for us. It makes things complicated for us, but how is it dangerous for those around us?"

Maly stood up and walked around the seats until she was in front of me. "Demons are nasty creatures. And they are smart. Cunning. If two children such as yourselves were to ever meet, a spell would take hold."

"What kind of spell?"

"A spell of the dead." She sighed. "Eons ago two children were made like you, similar circumstances. The demons played the same trick on them. The fathers wanted the children to be enemies, whilst the demon mothers wanted them to be lovers. Meaning, if they ever met, they would not be able to resist each other. So when they met, the spell was kicked in to play. All those who they had killed came back to life, to take revenge. After that, other dead enemies start rising, never your loved ones. And they become harder and harder to kill the longer they are alive."

No. No this could not be happening. Please, no.

"After that, the spell morphs into something else. With the last children, the spell had only begun to change when they were killed, breaking the magic." She looked up at me, worry in her eyes. "It's not only your enemies that will come after you; so will your friends, the good people, because they want the devastation to stop. Once they figure out that you're the source, you better watch yourself carefully."

No. No no no no no.

"And Loki knows this?"

She nodded her head. "The physician told him when we thought you were dead. When you woke up, it confirmed who you were. We had already known Loki was Laufey's child."

I stormed out of the room before she could say another word. I could see Loki standing at the very end of the hall, leaning against a post, his head arched back and his eyes closed.

I stormed to him.

He looked at me with sad eyes when I reached him. I just couldn't help myself when I pulled my arm back and swung, slapping him in the face.

His head reeled back, and then, with anger in his voice he turned back to me, "What makes you think you can do that?"

"It's a love-hate relationship, remember!" Damn. The tears were starting to come to my eyes. "If you and your greedy little self had never stepped foot on SHEILD's territory, never found me, decided to take me, none of this would be happening!"

"Would you rather me have left you there to be tortured, always kept on the brink of life?!"

"Yes! Because, now, the entire universe is about to fall apart around us, and every single person who had wronged us and we've taken revenge on, will come back for us! And we can't just apologize and send them on their merry way, Loki!"

"Then we fight. We've fought them before, defeated them before. We can do it again." His face was starting to turn blue.

"No! I'm tired of fighting! I've spent the past decade fighting for my life! And for once, I would like it to stop. Just stop." I backed away from him, the tears falling. "I just want to live, Loki. I just want to live and breathe and see and be happy." I sniffled loudly. "Now, that's never going to happen."

"Well, I'm sorry that I didn't foresee these events, especially since I knew just as much about them as you did!" he was yelling loudly now, his voice echoing off the walls.

"Your enemies are a lot different than mine, Loki. You went after yours. Mine were after me. Just imagine the bloodlust they will have for me when they come back."

"Please. Enemies? Misgardian enemies. They are weak and feeble compared to those who will come after me."

I put my face in my hands, shaking my head. "Now look at us. We're fighting about who has worse enemies!" I groaned.

I sunk down to the floor, leaning against a pillar, looking at my lap. I soon saw Loki sink down beside me and do the same. He was back to normal again, his skin pale and perfect, no longer blue.

"Why weren't you afraid of me?" he suddenly asked, in a hoarse whisper.

"Huh?"

"When I got you out of the lake, I was in my Frost-giant form. And you weren't afraid, you didn't even flinch. Yet, the guards around me looked terrified."

"Because big deal, you can turn blue. I didn't realize at the time that meant you were half Frost-giant. It still doesn't change anything. You may be able to change your skin, but it doesn't change you. You're still the same exact person. You still have the same face, you just come in different hues." I looked up and smiled at him. His face possessed a look a pure astonishment, and disbelief. "Besides, you saved my life being your abnormal self. You were able to contort the water when I couldn't. And believe me, I tried. Yes, I know Frost-giants are terrible and horrific. But you're not one of them. You may have been born one, but you were raised an Asgardian. I belong no more on this planet than you do on Jotunheim." I shrugged my shoulders. "We decide the kind of people we want to be. Our heritage and our powers have great influence, but we ultimately make the decoding choice."

He was staring at me now, intensely and wonderfully. I tried to keep my eyes on his, on his cool blue eyes, but I kept feeling my gaze slip to his lips.

Stop that. I chastised myself.

And that's when we heard heavy footsteps running towards us. I looked at Loki for guidance, to see what we should do, but he didn't move, so neither did I.

Then, the huge black guy we had seen when we came in the gate, was in front of us.

"Sir." He wasn't even out of breath.

"Heimdall. You know you can send the messengers. That is what they are for, after all." Loki said. I watched them closely.

"Laufey is alive. I know it can't be possible, but it is. He's on Jotunheim, preparing his men for war." He looked panicked. He looked at Loki, obviously expecting a huge reaction.

"I know." was all Loki said. I had to keep myself from laughing when I saw the look on Heimdall's face.

It was a look of pure bewilderment and confusion. Then, he simply bowed and walked away, shaking his head.

I couldn't help myself but to giggle.

Loki turned to look at me, a new light in his eyes, a new determination.

"Well, shit." He said.

We both broke out laughing.