Chapter 43

(Anna)

To be honest, I didn't move for a moment, thinking this might be a test. 

But then Loki groaned, rolling his eyes and dramatically said, "Or not?" And he walked away, obviously meaning for me to follow. I jumped out of the cell and began to run towards him. But then I stopped and turned around. I had to get something. 

Once I had grabbed the book, I ran, barefoot, to catch up with Loki, guards following behind me. Once I had caught up to him, I stood just behind him and to the side. "Long time, no see." I said, smiling slightly. 

He didn't say anything. I shrunk back. Obviously, this wasn't a "get to know the girl" meeting. 

"Why'd you bring that thing with you?" He motioned to the book. 

Simple really. It was beautiful and old. As old as Loki. It had his name in it. It said it was from his mother, to her dear son, Loki. There was something magical, special even, about it. But he knew what it was, I just didn't know how to tell him I had fallen in love with what it symbolizes, "I just think it's beautiful." Was all I said. 

I could practically hear him rolling his eyes. 

We continued walking, making turn after turn. This place was such a labryinth, I was already lost. But it was all so beautiful. So much gold, and light. Colors seemed to bounce off the walls. And the architecture had the tiniest attention to detail, it must have taken years to construct. 

Finally we came to a tall, curving stair case that would have swallowed any of my cells up, ten times over. The climb up the stairs made my legs ache and my breath grow heavy. Man, was I out of shape. 

I followed Loki down a long hallway, to the very large double doors looming at the end. Once we reached these doors, two guards had to heave them open. It took them a moment, becuase of the sheer weight of the things. Once they were open enough, Loki walked forward and I followed. The guards who had been behind me stayed back. Once we were inside, the guards pulled the doors closed, and I could hear them locking it. I turned around in confusion, but I swallowed the words when I looked around the room. 

We were in Loki's bedroom. His big, beautiful, dark bedroom. 

I hugged the book closer to my chest.