Chapter 110

(Anna)

My eyes shot open. 

I hadn't even realized they'd been closed. 

At some point, I had aquired a long knife and it was now gripped tightly in my hand. 

No. 

Please. 

Stop. 

Lake. I'm begging you. 

This doesn't have to happen. 

Yes, it does. He whispered inside my head, still pushing for control. 

Tears were falling from my face as I continued to walk towards Loki. I couldn't stop it. I tried to push my feet into the ground, tried to stop my legs. I tried and tried and tried. I screamed and pushed, but nothing happened. I had zero control of my actions.

This couldn't be happening. Not after everything. I had only just gotten him back, just saved him. And now I was about to lose the only man I had ever loved, and only would. And it would be at my hand. 

I couldn't meet his eyes. I focused all of my attention, all of my energy, on setting myself free. I had all this power and all this strength, yet it never seemed to be enough to saved those I cared most about. I had lost my family and friends and watched little girls in white dresses die because I wasn't powerful enough. And now it was about to happen again, the worst one of all. 

Maybe love did make you weak. 

"Loki." I cried, finally meeting his eyes. 

He looked at me, breathing hard, his eyes wide and terrified, "Anna." He took a shaky breath. "It's alright, Anna."

"I can't." I choked on my sobs. "I can't stop it."

"I know, darling. I know. And it's okay. I promise you. It's all okay. None of it is your fault."

I was standing over him now, pushing with all my might to gain control of the body that belonged to me. "But it is. I'm not strong enough."

"Oh, my dear, you are the strongest, most beautiful woman I have ever met. And you mean oh so much to me. My heart belongs to you, love. That I can always promise you." His voice shook. 

"Make it stop." I groaned, the pain in my head explosive. 

"It's okay, Anna. It's okay. The spell will be broken now. You'll be safe. I've lived my life. I've messed up most of it. And let me tell you, darling, you were the best part. You were my light at the end of the tunnel. And I am the one that is sorry. Sorry that I didn't find you sooner, so that we may have spent more time together." He choked back his own sobs. 

Harry and Teagan were yelling around us, screaming at me to plunge the knife into Loki. But I ignored them, keeping my focus on the man who had saved me and destroyed me all at the same time. But most importantly, the man who had loved me. He was all that mattered. 

"My dad would have liked you." I couldn't help but say. 

He chuckled slightly, "I would have been sure to ask for his blessing. And I would have danced with your mother in my arms so that she knew that I was capable of carrying you." 

"Don't make me do this." I whispered out loud to Lake, tasting the salt of my tears on my lips. 

I felt my hand raise slowly. I tried to stop it, tried to fight against it. "No. Please. Please!" I weeped, pleading for Lake to stop. 

"It's okay, my love. Really. Don't blame yourself. I have to die. I am so, so sorry." He watched the knife shake in my hand, and then turned his eyes back to me. "I wouldn't want it any other way. You'll be saving me, love. And I will start again in Valhalla; Tabula Rasa, as they say in your ancient Latin tongue. A new beginning, a clean slate. And heavens know I need it." He sounded more confident than he had before, as he watched the knife slowly creep towards his heart. 

I contined to bawl, "No. No, I can't. This isn't okay. This isn't right."

"Anna, listen to me. I will see you again, on the other side. I will have all of the heavens waiting to praise you as you walk through its gates, for everything you have done. I love you, darling. And I swear to you that all is well. You must do this."

I screamed in terror as the knife dived towards Loki's heart, piercing it with a sickening sound, and as the blood seeped from his body and the light left his eyes.