Chapter 71

(Loki)

She played with the hem of her dress for a moment before continuing. "I chased after him. But he was hard to find. So it became a new game, and I didn't know if I was winning or losing. They would come after me and I would kill them, mutilate them. My hands forever stained with their blood. There seemed to be an endless supply of them. But they kept coming and I kept killing them."

"I should've stormed in and killed him when I finally found where he was hidden. But instead I left him a note, telling him to meet me in one weeks time, for the final piece to be played."

"So a week later, there I was, in the middle of nowhere Arizona, in the dry desert, waiting for the battle. I knew he wouldn't come alone, so I wasn't surprised when about three dozen men and women, all in similar clothing, weapons in hand, surrounded me. But what made me scared was that he wasn't there. And before I could ask for him, they stormed at me."

"That's the video you saw. Me fighting them. I fought them off, none of them touching me. I didn't just want to defeat them, I wanted to kill them. I made the desert a sand storm, no one could see except for me, so when one of them found me in the cloud, they were dead before they could shake the sand out of their eyes. I do remember noticing that each of them seemed to have the same circular tattoo on the back of their necks, but I never had time to get a good enough look, it wasn't really at the top of my to do list."

"I remember being hungry for their blood, but knowing I wouldn't be satisfied until I had the blood of the man that had killed Lyla. I was using my powers to the extreme, and soon, all of those men and women were dead around me, their blood being soaked up by the dry ground."

"When the dust finally settled, that's when I saw the SHEILD vehicles. They surrounded me, and there were guards in uniforms all around me, holding large guns. But none of that mattered the moment I saw him, standing in the crowd, with that smug smile of his. And I ran. Much like you saw me do, I ran towards him, guns being fired, but none of them making their mark. I ran as hard as I could, using my powers to their full potential, making the ground move beneath my feet, the air swirl around me, ice gripped in one hand, and lightning in the other."

"And then I hit a wall."

I couldn't help but laugh, I didn't mean to, but I did. "What?" I looked at her.

"Sorry, I hit a forcefield." She smiled. "The moment I hit it, my momentum died and my powers faded out. They were all staring at me, about to fire. I was only feet from him, but the forcefield kept me from coming in. But I was no idiot, I knew, if you had enough electricity, you could destroy the field. But I waited."

"And sure enough, he walked towards me. 'Name's Harry.' he said. As if he were introducing himself to the new girl. I remember how we just stared at each other for a moment, him looking as if he'd already won, and me, well I hadn't quite played my final card yet. 'Nice wall.' I told him. 'But useless.' And before he could blink, my hands erupted into millions of tendrils of electricity, and I shot my hand out, and the wall disappeared and my hand collided with his chest."

"It was like an extreme version of an X-ray, I could see all of his bones, as he screamed. But soon, I felt my self being stabbed with needles, over and over again. They were shooting tranquilizers at me, and soon I grew weak, the electricity died and I lost consciousness."

She was still looking at her lap, so I leaned forward, putting my head against hers. "When I woke up, they were already experimenting on me. They-" I put a finger to her quivering lips as fast as I could. Then, I lifted her chin up, so that I could look in her eyes.

She looked at me, tears leaking, mouth shaking, but she held my gaze as strongly as I held hers.

"No need to go on. I know the rest. And all of that is behind you." I brushed a tear from her face, as she looked relieved at my words.

And then I leaned forward, bringing her lips to mine, and kissed her.