A Teaching Lesson (Connor x reader)

A/N: The reader is Finnish on this one, because I only speak Finnish and English and the request was that the reader teaches Connor a foreign language.

// Some of those people who have read this have told me it's offensive to leave all the other languages out, but once again I'm Finnish and I only speak Finnish and English, and also little bit of Swedish. I tried to write this without specifying the language but couldn't make it work without it being like "you taught Connor some words and phrases, Connor thanked you and left" so I made Y/N Finnish. Honestly I would have left this unwritten if I knew I offended so many people.

Also this piece was written in 2018 July, so it's been quite some time. I hope you will stop spamming me with accusations of me being racist and offensive.

Warnings: None, Connor just being cute <3

Word count: 827

***

"Y/N?" Connor called when he walked towards your desk.

"Yes, Connor?" you smiled and spun around your chair, so you could face him.

"I want to learn your native language", he said with a serious face and it made you chuckle.

"You want you learn Finnish? Why?" you asked, tilting your head.

"Because I don't have that language programmed. And because I want to learn." he said and stared at you, he was probably scanning whether you would say yes.

"Yeah, all right. C'mere." you beckoned him to sit on a chair beside you. He did so and again he stared at you, apparently waiting you would start to blurt out everything in Finnish. And leaning on that, you tilted your head and narrowed your eyes at him. "You know that I can't teach you everything in one sitting?"

"Yes", he answered, and you grinned.

"Okayyy... so. What do you want to learn first?"

"How about... numbers?" he suggested, and you nodded.

"I'm gonna just go and count to ten in Finnish, okay?" he nodded so you began. "Yksi, kaksi, kolme, neljä, viisi, kuusi, seitsemän, kahdeksan, yhdeksän, kymmenen." Connor's LED flashed yellow for few seconds as he registered the information and then he repeated those numbers. His pronunciation was perfect, though he was programmed to learn to pronounce from hearing.

"What's teen in Finnish?" he suddenly asked, and you frowned.

"Teini... why do you ask?"

"Yksiteini, kaksiteini, kolmeteini, neljäteini..." he began and got you burst into laughing.

"N-no, no, no! S-stop, I-I'm dying from this laughter!" you held your stomach as you laughed, and you were sure all the eyes in the DCPD were on you.

"What?" Connor asked and looked at you, he was clearly puzzled.

"I-I thought you meant teen, like a teenager", you said and got yourself together. "It goes like this; yksitoista, kaksitoista, kolmetoista, neljätoista, viisitoista..."

"Kuusitoista, seitsemäntoista, kahdeksantoista, yhdeksäntoista... what's twenty?"

"Kaksikymmentä. And then kaksikymmentäyksi, kaksikymmentäkaksi and so on. Thirty is kolmekymmentä, forty is neljäkymmentä and hundred is sata, two hundred is kaksisataa, thousand is tuhat and million is miljoona." His LED again flashed yellow and he turned to you.

"How about greetings?" he asked, and you thought about it a moment, there are many ways to
say hello in Finnish.

"Well, the "normal" one is easy. Hei, like hey. And then there's a "formal" one, "päivää". But most Finns use just "moi", "moro", "terve" and things like that. Terve means also being healthy but it's also a greeting. There are more ways to say hello, but I think those are the most important ones."

"What about family? Like what do you call your father, mother, sister and such?" Connor asked, and you sighed, wondering how long this will take.

"Father is isä, iskä, isi, but most call them "faija". Mother is äiti but most call their mother "mutsi". Sister is sisko, but some also call their sister "systeri". Brother is veli, but some call their brother "broidi". Sibling is sisarus. Grandma is isoäiti, but most call their grandma mummu, mummi or mummo. Mummo may also mean any old woman. You could say "anna tuon mummon mennä ensin", which means "let that old woman go first". Grandpa is isoisä, but most call their grandpa ukki, vaari or pappa. And again, pappa and vaari could mean any old man. Cousin is serkku. Aunt is täti, uncle is setä, if he's from your dad's side and eno if he's from your mom's side. Setä or täti could also mean any man or woman, though people use that mostly with children."

Connor was quiet for a moment. "What about some basic sentences?" You sighed again, you couldn't spend all day teaching Finnish to Connor.

"You can go by perkele. That's all you need, everyone understands what you want if you just say perkele." you said, turning to your computer again, work wouldn't do itself.

"Then why did you teach me all those things if you can manage in all areas with that "perkele"?" Connor asked, and you felt like bursting into laughter again, it was so weird hearing Connor say perkele.

"Okay, maybe that isn't a wonder word and the solution to everything but Connor, please, could we continue another time? I really need to make these reports and I don't have time to teach you every word and thing in Finnish right now. It's a complicated language." you groaned, and Connor tilted his head.

"Could you give me an example that would show how complicated language Finnish is?" he asked and you thought for a moment.

"Well... Kokko, kokoo kokoon koko kokko. Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko. It would mean Kokko, gather together the entire bonfire. And then this Kokko asks: The entire bonfire? And the first speaker answers: The entire bonfire. And kuusi palaa. It could mean... six pieces. Or that spruce is on fire. Or that your moon is on fire. So... yeah. Another time, please." Connor looked puzzled for a moment, but then nodded and left your desk. Boy, this teaching thing would be a long project...