The Past (Ralph x reader)

Warnings: Angst

Word count: 1 012 (whoops :D)

***

It was warm. Sun was peeking through the leaves of a great pine tree at the park, you could hear cyclists ring their bells, children playing and birds singing. You were sitting on the grass, with closed eyes and just listening. Some jogger passed by you and you could hear the music they were listening as they passed you. You felt relaxed. So warm. So... happy.

"Hello, gorgeous", a familiar voice said above you and you smiled a little.

"Ralph, what a handsome prince you are. Here to save me?" you joked, Ralph laughed a little, his laugh radiating with affection and then he sat beside you. You nuzzled his shoulder but he pushed you away, glancing around.

"Y/N, not here. Someone can see us." Ralph said and you whined, looking into his hazel eyes.

"We never get to cuddle!" you exclaimed and Ralph smiled a little again, looking slightly downwards.

"Soon, we will. I have made a plan that I'll escape later this night. Sure, I'll miss this garden but... I'd rather spend my life with you." he said and you started to smile, bouncing in place a few times, though you were sitting.

"You'll come to my apartment then?" you asked and he nodded, still smiling. "Okay, I'm waiting for you!"

And then you left, happily dancing as you walked away. You couldn't stay with Ralph until evening, because the parks' android supervisor might've suspected something going on.

You waited at your apartment. And waited. And waited. But he never came.

Next morning, you went to the park. He wasn't there. You heard the supervisor angrily complaining how one of the gardeners had escaped and how much money he needs to buy a new one. You frowned, looking around the park. You saw no Ralph. Where had he gone?

And after days turned into weeks, and weeks into months, you started to realize he wasn't coming back. And you had cried about it so much that you were sure there was no water left in you.

***

It was a cold, rainy day as you walked down a street. Cars were driving past you and you tried to avoid the possible puddles to splatter on you. You wrapped your jacket closer to your body, the rain felt like icy needles on your skin. It had been a year after androids were freed. You saw them regularly walking past you and every time you saw a WR600, you hoped it would be Ralph. But when he looked at you, you knew it wasn't him.

But this cold, rainy day was different.

You saw someone come from the front, he had a tattered gardener outfit on him and a cloak. He muttered something to himself, twitching violently while muttering.

"Ralph will have to go home. Yes, he has to find a home. His systems won't stand this kind of rain, but he... he doesn't know where he's going."

Ralph? You stopped along with your heart and started to stare at that strange, muttering android, who had gone against a fence, leaning his head against it, still muttering. Finally, you decided to approach the man slowly.

"Uh- sorry?" you asked, the man twitched again at the sudden voice and turned his gaze on you. His other eye was flooded with blue blood, his cheek had a gruesome scar in it and his mouth twitched while watching you. But you knew from his gaze that he was your Ralph.

"Y/N? How did Y/N find Ralph?" he asked, immediately looking down, noticing you were staring at his scar. You swallowed and very carefully, you pressed your hand on his shoulder.

"Ralph, who did this to you?" you asked, your voice wavering and your hands started to shake upon his scar.

"Humans." he simply said and carefully looked up to you. "Humans hurt Ralph. They wanted to kill Ralph, but they didn't succeed. Ralph knew that Y/N wouldn't like him when he's looking like this so... he ran away." you saw there were tears in his eyes before he looked back down.

"What makes you think that?" you asked, delicately bringing your hand to Ralph's damaged cheek and stroking it before Ralph jerked away.

"Y/N doesn't know! They don't know how Ralph is now, he's stupid, he can't control his anger, he threatened the little girl with a knife and... he killed a man, he was scared of him so he killed him." Ralph sobbed and fell to his knees on the wet ground, shaking and sobbing loudly. You felt like everyone on the street was watching you, but you didn't care anymore. You lifted Ralph up.

"Come with me. I'll take you home," you said and Ralph let out a surprised sound.

"Y/N doesn't think Ralph is ugly? How they can't see that?" Ralph asked and you slowly gripped the fabric of his cloak while walking, stopping Ralph and yourself.

"You are not ugly. You are my boyfriend and no one has permission to call my boyfriend ugly. Not even himself has a permission for that." you said firmly. Then you stroked his cheek again, feeling the damaged flesh underneath your fingertips. How could anyone do this to him?

"I... I'm still your boyfriend?" he asked, still twitching slightly and you nodded smiling.

"Haven't found anyone who I'd need to dump", you laughed a little and Ralph smiled a little too. Then you brought him to a kiss. You felt him put his shaking hands around you and suddenly, the cold rain didn't feel so cold anymore. You smiled at each other after the kiss, you were softly gripping his shirt and he was fiddling with the zipper of your jacket. Maybe he was more like a child now, but he still made a great boyfriend to you. He needed all the love you could give him and you did.