Chapter 1: Karma

Three years later

"So, what did you say?" I asked raising my eyebrows. I took a sip from my drink. My throat was dry due to all the laughing.

Nathan relaxed his back in the armchair and crossed his legs. "Well, I told him that tiny dick of his would never satisfy my needs and got the fuck out of his house." Nathan continued emphasizing the words as he put a hand in his chest, like he really was offended by the poor guy's size.

I spit my drink and burst out laughing.

My other best friend, Sarah, looked at him with wide eyes and mouth opened. "You did not." Her voice was deep and full of incredulity.

I couldn't stop laughing. At that point I had tears in my eyes and I was rolling on the carpet taping my hand against the floor.

"Girl, of course I did." He said as if stating the obvious. "You would have done the same." I sat down properly on the floor, my laugh fading slowly and I looked at the disgusted face of Sarah. She shook her head and furrowed her eyebrows in horror.

Nathan turned his head towards me, undoubtedly looking for an ally.

"I probably would", I chuckled taking the bottle of whiskey and pouring myself another drink.

Nathan gave me a satisfied smile and stick out his tongue to Sarah. I swear most parts of the day they were like kids.

"Well guys, I think we should get going." Sarah said looking at the time on her phone. I nodded my head and stood up. That's when my head realized how much we had drunk. I started smoothing the wrinkles of my red dress and steadied myself.

Nathan stood up quickly. "Wait!" We glanced confused at his direction. "I want to make a toast".

"Oh my God, of course you want to." Mumbled Sarah rolling her eyes.

He ignored her comment and raised his drink. "I know it's not 12 am yet but, happy 21st birthday, Martina. I hope this number brings you luck and makes your life full of money, parties and passionate and wild sex!"

"Cheers!" We shouted in unison while raising our cups and drank at the same time.

I grinned widely and glanced at my two best friends. "Thank you guys, for everything. I love you."

"You know," Sarah began, "we would say the same but actually, your mom pays us to hang out with you, right Nathan?" He nodded giggling.

"Yeah, fuck you." I pointed angrily at them with my empty cup. "I'm never getting sentimental with you two again in my life." I said shaking my head and heading down to the door of the apartment.

I grabbed my keys and my purse and just when I was about to open the door, they both came running towards me and caged me in their arms.

"We were just joking, you know we love you!" Sarah yelled in my ear. I winced at the sound and covered it. She took a step back and giggled. "Oops!" I sighed and shook my head with a small smile.

Nathan was still hugging me while Sarah got out of our apartment and went towards the elevators.

"You know, I'm not much of a hugger and you are starting to make me uncomfortable." I told him.

He looked down at me and smirked. "I know."

He then released me as his eyes travelled down my body. "You look specially good tonight, blondie."

"So do you." I complimented back with a grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We got out of the taxi and I stared astonishingly at the neon sign of the club.