Chapter 19: Would you rather

The next day I spent it at the library, studying like crazy to distract myself. Luckily, I didn't find Ace there, nor Lilly. That blonde haired girl reminded me of him now. Although I was nervous all the time, he went there a lot.

I had no news about him today. Maybe he got tired of me, of waiting for my answer and stopped trying. That would be for the best. If I was lucky the week would quickly pass. That's the time I decided I would let to distance myself a little bit of him. Then I'd talk to him, maybe "hang out", like we did our first times. I didn't want him to think I was avoiding him or that I was angry with him. I'd tell him I was busy. He would understand.

I got out of the library and surprisingly it was warm. Not that sunny now that the sun was setting, but it had been during the day.  Climate change was insane. Pretty sure that from now on it'd be like we were in the middle of August. I walked to the parking lot and searched for my car. I stopped for a moment to look for it. Shit, I forgot where I parked it. That happened like 95 percent of the time. I decided to walk around, pressing the button on my car keys to see if a car would light up. Just when I saw mine, I saw a guy figure too. I frowned confused as I came closer to him. His smile spreading widely across his face.

"Carter, hey." I greeted him when I stopped in my tracks with a half-smile.

"Hi." He said enthusiastically. "Where did you go the other day? I lost you at the party."

"Uh, yeah." I rubbed the back of my neck. "Where to begin?" I laughed nervously.

"Maybe from the beginning?" He asked gently, his smile never leaving his face.

"There was a little fight between-" I made a pause trying to find the words, "two friends, and well, one of them broke his hand and had to go to the hospital, and well, you can imagine the rest."

"That's why the party ended?" He asked. I nodded hiding my lower lip on my mouth. "I understand now. Everyone was surprised though, the party was great."

I sighed and smiled sadly. "But you know, as we say in Spain, lo bueno, si breve, dos veces bueno. The good, if brief, is twice as good."

"Amen to that." He let out a little laugh. "Just like our time together. Brief but good, right?" His smile was as big as ever.

"Right." I chuckled. I tried not to laugh but this was comical. For some reason he wouldn't stop smiling. I didn't know if he was high or something, 'cause he couldn't be really meaning that what we had was good. I was incredibly drunk, we made out, I thought it was awkward, I got dizzy and left him there. End of the so romantic story. Oh, and I fucked another guy afterwards. Yeah, it was definitely good.

"I thought maybe we could hang out sometime?"

"Sure." I said stepping back and walking towards my car. "Just text me." I smiled.

"Wait, but I don't have your number." He frowned.

I continued walking backwards and yelled when I was a little further. "If you really wanna see me, you'll figure it out!" Then I turned around and got into my car. The engine roaring as I turned it on and got the hell out of there as fast as I could. I glanced at the window before I left and saw him standing there, confusion in his face, his mouth slightly parted and his hand waving at me awkwardly.

I couldn't help but laugh as I drove. God, I was mean. I felt bad for the poor guy, but you know when you have the feeling that something is just not going to work out? He was the happiest person I knew, he surely would get through it.

To be honest, I didn't feel that bad.

I arrived at my apartment and collapsed on the bed. I didn't have to tutor today and I was glad for that. I was super tired and the only thing I wanted to do was sleep. But then I remembered I hadn't have dinner. I usually would pass and go to bed directly but I couldn't do that. I promised myself I would follow my diet. So, I got out of bed, put on some comfy clothes and went to the kitchen, not before going to Sarah's bedroom and finding her there talking on the phone. She smiled and waved at me and I did the same.