Chapter 25: Lullaby

"Are you feeling better?"

Sarah put the back of her hand on my forehead.

"Not really."

"Do you want me to bring you something?"

I shook my head and covered myself with the sheets.

"How long has it been since you took that pill?"

I glanced at the watch on my bedside table. "Mhm, like two hours ago."

"Then I'm afraid you'll have to wait till the morning." She muttered biting her lower lip. "Are you sure you don't need anything?"

"Actually, if you can bring me my phone, that would be great."

"Sure."

She disappeared and I closed my eyes for a moment. My head and my eyelids felt heavy and all the muscles in my body were aching. I took my temperature before and it was high. I hoped it was decreasing.

Sarah came into the room, my phone in her hand.

"Mhm." She glanced at the screen. "Ace's calling you. Do you want me to say you're sick?"

"Don't worry, I'll take it, thanks." She handed it to me and I put it on my ear. She left the room, gently closing the door.

"Hey." I couldn't help but smile.

"Hi." His deep voice making my heart stop for a moment. "You said yesterday not to call you today, so here I am, calling you at," he paused for a moment, "12.03 am."

I let out a little laugh which made my whole body ache even more.

"You don't sound desperate at all." I whispered.

"I'm not. That's why I called you at 12.03 and not at 12. You already know my ego."

I let out a little chuckle. "Yes, I do."

"Mhm, are you okay?"

"I'm actually kind of sick."

"Shit, really?"

"Yeah, I have a fever."

"Fuck. It's my fault. I shouldn't have thrown you into the pool yesterday. You got cold and-"

"Ace, calm down, it's not your fault. I don't think it's because of that."

"Do you need anything?"

"No, thanks. Sarah is taking care of me."

"You know, I could take care of you too. I can be your private doctor."

I giggled. "I'd love that, but I don't want you to see me like this. I look terrible."

"I don't think you can look bad."

"Trust me, I can. I actually do most of the time." I chuckled.

"That's not true but I won't begin an argument. I'll let you sleep, you need to rest." He said gently.

I turned around on my other side and glanced at the window. I took a deep breath. "Actually, can we talk for a little more?"

"Sure." He sighed.

"Can you tell me something until I fall asleep? I won't stop thinking weird things that won't let me sleep." My voice almost inaudible. I had little hallucinations due to the high fever that felt like heavy nightmares.

"Mhm, okay. What do you want me to tell you?"

"I don't know. What did you do today?"

"Well, I woke up and Renzo was sleeping beside me."