Chapter 4: Hakuna your tatas

"Your turn."

I was playing 'hit and sunk' with Matt in class. I was usually a good student, but 'History of industrial design' was not my thing. I'm sorry, but I really didn't care when the first corkscrews was invented. Besides, it was 10 am of a Friday. Everyone was distracted and Mr. Johnson didn't seem to care.

Right at the second Matt glanced at me, with that mischievous smile to say his last letter and number, I realized that I had lost.

"That's not fair!" I whisper-shouted.

"Yeah, it's not fair I have to play with you. You're pretty bad."

I shot him a death glare and crossed my arms.

"Well, you only win because you cheat."

"It's not cheating it's called strategy." He said emphasizing the last word.

"Can I try?" Someone from behind patted Matt's shoulder. I turned around and saw Keya, the sweet Indian girl.

"Yeah, you can sit here and play with him." I said waving my had. I got closer to her and whispered. "I warn you, he cheats."

Keya giggled and we switched places.

"Stop being such a sore loser." Matt chuckled looking at me teasingly.

I sat down on Keya's chair and looked at the two of them. They would make a cute couple.

They were playing and Keya was laughing at all Matt's jokes and let me tell you, they weren't funny at all. He was feeling all self-confident, I could tell by the way he was moving his hands and the way he smiled.

When the class finished, Matt and I said goodbye to Keya and we went outside. It was a warm, sunny day and most of the students were lying on the grass, or under the shadow of a tree.

Matt stretched out and grinned.

"What a beautiful day." He said excitedly.

"It really is." I said slowly nodding. "You know, today is 'Bonding Friday'. I am in charge of one of the workshops, you should come."

"Hm. I don't know..." he said not quite convinced.

'Bonding Fridays', as its very name indicated, were days that were made for students to bond. They did it one time a month and this was my second year collaborating. That's why I knew most of the students. My first year was a little bit difficult for me. I wasn't completely myself yet. Recovering and trying to follow classes was hard. But on my second year, I started going to this event, suggested by a teacher. I started to talk like I used to, I met a lot of people and even made some really good friends. I met Nathan there. There were lots of workshops, games, food trucks... There was even a small stage where students could perform. It was really fun and a way of meeting new people, or a way to spend a Friday evening with your friends if you had nothing more interesting to do.

"Come on, it's really fun! You know, you can bring Keya if you want." I said smirking and wiggling my eyebrows.

His eyes lit up at her name, but he tried to hide it and he furrowed his brow. "Keya?" He asked cocking his head.

"Yeah, you two seem to get on very well." I kept on smirking like a foul to see if he would understand what I meant. He was not very social intelligent. "Besides, she is really pretty." I said shrugging distractedly.

"Yeah, and smart, and funny." He let out a big breath. "It's a shame she's into girls."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I almost yelled.