Chapter 7: A thing

I was humming a song on the radio looking out of the window as he drove. I felt at ease.

"Why were you drinking?" He asked.

"Uh?" I turned my head back to him and raised my eyebrows.

"Before I arrived. You were alone. Why were you drinking?" He glanced at me briefly and then back at the road.

"I don't know. There has to be a reason?" I cocked my head.

He shrugged. "I've never drank by myself. I don't know, maybe you were trying to drown your sorrows or something." He turned the steering wheel to the left and looked at me amusedly.

"What makes you think I have sorrows to drown? I'm always beaming." I said grinning widely, leaning my face towards him.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "You were crying before I arrived because I wasn't there. Admit it." He smirked and looked at me out of the corner of his eye.

"We should choose a table for three. Two for us and one for your ego."

He chuckled. I swear I was not used to these acts of joy from his part. He was a serious guy and these things caught me by surprise.

We stayed silent for a few more minutes. Well, I wasn't quiet, I couldn't stop myself from singing along every damn song on the radio. He pulled over the car and parked.

He got out and waited for me to do the same. When I arrived next to him, we started walking towards the door.

"Good evening, just the two of you?" Asked a young lady that was next to the door.

"Actually, we're thr-" Ace elbowed me and smiled kindly to the hostess.

"Yes, just the two of us."

"Perfect." She smiled widely. "Follow me."

She started walking and Ace looked at me narrowing his eyes. I giggled and began to walk after the lady. She guided us towards one of the booths in one corner of the restaurant. I sat down and took off my jacket and watched as Ace did so. He had this chaotic air around him, but yet he was so classy. He would always had this expensive, but not too extravagant watch, and his clothes were always very well chosen. He also smelled really good.

"Are you done checking me out? I could do the same to you." He said glancing at my boobs.

I was wearing black jeans and a black tank top with a significant cleavage.

"Eyes on my face." I said guiding two fingers to my eyes. He fought a smile and we looked through the menu. Another waiter came and took our orders.

"You know, this is my favourite Italian restaurant in town."

"Well I'm not from here, but I didn't know about the existence of this place." I said, my eyes wandering around.

"I know, that's one of the reasons why I like it. People don't know about it. And the food is amazing."

"This is where you bring girls?" I asked playing with the flame of a candle on the table with my fingers.

"I think I never brought any girl here." He said furrowing his brow and looking up as if to think about it.

I tried not to get too excited about the fact that I might be the first girl he brought here. Why did these things seemed to matter to me all of a sudden?

"Have you always lived here?" I asked him curiously.

He nodded. "What about you?"

I bit the corner of my mouth and thought about it for a moment. "Well, I spent the first ten years of my life in Spain. Then my father got promoted and had this big opportunity and we moved here. Well, not here, we live like two hours away."