Part Two

Tegan's publicist and manager were absolutely floored after what happened between her and Harry Styles on-screen on the Ellen show. They knew Harry's celebrity status could take her places and insisted she go on a date with him and make it very, very public. Tegan's stomach turned. It wasn't how she wanted to date him – or go on a date with him.

She didn't want the paparazzi around. She wanted to be able to focus on him without a mess of flashing lights and a story on TMZ in the morning. She wanted every opportunity with Harry, but she didn't want it in some crooked, deceitful way. She didn't want to make it a spectacle and she said as much to her publicist and manager.

"I won't do it," she said, metaphorically and literally putting her foot down as she stood on her feet in her publicist's office.

"Tegan," her manager, Will, said in a warning tone.

"No. I won't do it," she insisted, looking between the two of them.

"It will further your career, honey," her publicist, Penny, said as she stood up from her desk, steepling her fingers down atop it as they held up the weight of her upper body. She looked like she meant business, but Tegan wasn't having it.

"I don't care," Tegan said, shaking her head.

"We're working with a very small window here, Tegan. You're flying high off the success of Kaleidoscope right now. But what if your next part doesn't do anything for you? What then, huh? You need some positive publicity to keep your name fresh in the minds of your fans and casting directors," Penny explained as Tegan clenched her jaw from annoyance.

"I won a Golden Globe! I was nominated for an Academy Award! That means something. That's enough right now," Tegan argued.

"It's not enough, sweetheart. We have to keep this momentum rolling," Penny countered, sending her a sympathetic look.

"Well, I don't care. I don't care," Tegan said, throwing her hands up as she shook her head in disbelief.

She never imagined fame to be this... this annoying. Sure, she knew the paparazzi would be annoying, but she didn't think her team would try to pressure her into doing something she didn't want to do. Maybe she was naïve, maybe she had a lot to learn, but she definitely didn't want to – wouldn't go about it this way.

"You need to sit down and think about this long and hard, Tegan. We're only looking out for you in the long run. This will further your career," Will told her.

"By piggybacking off of someone else's success? No. That's not why I became an actress," Tegan said, shaking her head.

"You would be surprised how many people piggyback off of other people's success in Hollywood, Tegan. It's what Hollywood was built on. All those celebrity relationships that start out hot and fizzle out after a few months – more than likely those were publicity stunts. That's how it works around here," Penny explained.

"I don't want that," Tegan snapped, refusing to give in to anything they were trying to convince her of.

"You think Harry went on Ellen just to surprise a fan? No, he went on there because of publicity. Because you are the next big thing, my dear," Will told her and his words instantly cut her like a knife.

"No. Harry's not like that," Tegan said quietly and Penny let out a boisterous laugh.

"You're acting as if you know him, Tegan. You sound delusional," Will retorted.

"You seem to forget that I've followed this man's life since I was fourteen-years-old. He was sixteen. I'm pretty sure I've figured out his character by now. Harry isn't like that," she said, standing by her original statement.