Reality Check

"I am NOT going to her house Michael and I mean that shit." I was packing up my leather briefcase so I can go home for the day. I was leaving a few hours early because...I could and my work was done for the day. If anything was to come up Morgan would handle it. I have done my fair share of late night in this bank and my time to go home early has arrived.

However this early day was turning into me going to get Mya from I'm thinking Monica's house, but Michael was on my phone assuring me that was not the case.

"No B, I need you to get her from MY mother's house . Not Mya's mother's." I closed my blinds and walked around my desk to my door.I turned my lights out and locked my door behind me and started towards the elevator while waving at a few people on my way.

"Oh, Momma Donna? Why didn't you say so?" I asked while the elevator doors opened and I let a few people out before I walked in and hit the G button.

"Because as always your loud ass don't want anyone to talk. For someone so short, your ass sure do know how to-" I smacked my lips and hung upon him.

"How's that for being loud." I laughed to myself while hitting the ground floor.

It was a rare moment to find me at my parents home after work, but here I was in my mother's living room; sitting on the love seat with her sitting across from me on the couch.

Her eyebrow was raised and her lips were tightly shut. Her left leg was crossed over her right and her hands were neatly tucked in her lap. I slowly checked my watch and realized she didn't say one word since I walked through her door close to an hour ago.

I would glance at her from time to time, but dare not speak the first word. As soon as she saw me walk in...holding Mya she looked at me funny at first until recognition hit her face and has been like that every since.

"So you step-mommy now?" Finally came out of her mouth; startling me. I bit my lip trying not to roll my eyes or say anything smart.

"No,I'm just being a friend and watching her until he closes up the shop-" My mother snorted and looked us over. Mya was eating some of her cheese puffs while sitting in my lap playing with my phone that had Elmo singing on it.

"Oh really? You two are really close...maybe even closer than when you two were younger-" I sighed and adjusted Mya in my lap because she was trying to get down. She did a little scream, but once Elmo started talking again she stopped wiggling.

"Mom are you really upset about us reconnecting again? You loved Michael-"My mother huffed and sat up straight. She fixed the scarf holding down her short hair and smirked.

"And I still do, I'm just trying to see what's going on with you two." I gave her a knowing look and shook my head.

"Nothing,how is it you question our friendship now that we are adults, but never when we were younger?" I asked cocking my head to the side.My mother rolled her eyes and waved her hand at me as if I was being naïve.

"Because you shied away from how he treated you. I knew how Michael was...I thought he would be your first despite the age difference. I loved him because he protected you and was always there for you no matter what and you the same with him." Mya started to whine and I reached down to the side of her bag and got her sippy cup of juice and gave it to her.

"Sowhy is that changing now?" I asked and my mother smiled at me knowingly.

"Because you have. You are as free as a bird now and I know you aren't shy anymore...he's very easy on the eye and you...you..."I looked off for a second trying to figure out what the fuck she was talking about, but came up blank.