Emotional Roller Coaster

"How are you feeling?" I opened my eyes to the sound of Michael's voice and slightly rolled them; making him lean in and smile.

"Before you answer, besides not being able to eat, sleep in your own bed and...you just had an epidural...so now...how are you feeling?" I gave him a weak smile while he pushed some of my hair out of my face.

After the nurse set up my IV everything happened so fast. I was induced with little to no reasoning, but Dr. Perkins telling me she'll be back in to explain everything due to an emergency that called her away.

With being induced the pain came pretty quickly and with each contraction coming every other minute and lasting a minute, I couldn't get comfortable to save my life. I hit that damn call button so hard, I thought I broke it so I could get some drugs to ease the pain...which was done about ten minutes ago.

I gave him a weak smile and licked my dry lips. Michael's eyes went to my lips and he stood up while nodding his head.

"You can have ice though, I'll be back." Before I could utter a word he was up and out of the room.

"Miss. Brooks my dear...how are we doing?" I looked over at the door to see Dr Perkins walking in with two nurses following behind her. When I saw her face I started to sit up a bit, but she stopped me.

"Oh no sweetie, you can lay back. So I'm sure you are wondering why I kept you in-" She started off while the nurses started setting something up on the table on the other side of the room.

"Yes we would like to know." Michael returned we a cup. Michael sat the cup down on the table beside my bed and I could just feel the energy shift in the room. From the way Michael was looking at the nurses; they paused all movement and looked over at Dr. Perkins for further instructions.

"Dad! Will you deflate your chest, you are scaring the staff here." Dr. Perkins walked over to Michael and lightly back hand his chest causing him to deflate a little and a smile to crack through his icy features.

"Now I was informed of the mix up, but yes you were going to leave, but some last tests came back and I saw that our baby boy has had a movement..." She let the rest linger in the air and moved her hands around her midsection. I looked at her with a brow raised while Michael looked from her to the nurses.

"Are you trying to tell us he took a shit?" Michael asked bluntly and I watched Dr. Perkins stop her hand motion and closed her eyes while the nurses laughed behind her.

"Yes dad, he took a shit." She finally let out with a laugh of her own and a shake of her head.

"So what do we do now, what are they doing?" I asked while Dr. Perkins sat at the foot of my bed and waited for one of the nurses to bring her some gloves and the other held a clipboard.

"Well...you are...five right now...we shall wait-" Michael raised a brow and shook his head.

"Wait? You just broke her water and pretty much told us our son is in danger...wouldn't she need one of those uh...fuck uh those sections or something?" I face palmed at his choice of words talking to the doctor like that, but I was indeed wondering the same thing.

"Let me finish...by morning if you are not completely dilated...when will have to give you a C-section." I cringed at the fact I may have to get cut, but if it means bringing our son into this world healthy than so be it. I looked over at Michael and saw him looking at my stomach with a worried expression on his face.

"Babe-" I tried to reach for his hand, but he just kept his eyes focused on my stomach and shook his head.

"Something isn't right...I can feel it, something isn't right." Dr. Perkins peeked up at Michael and sighed while nodding her head.