🔪Prologue (UPDATED)

Edited on: 09/20/2021

Update - edited on: 10/02/2022

TW: Mention of death and blood

Aurora's POV

I was ten years old. Bright-colored balloons, party hats, confetti on the floor, and colorful decorations all over the house. We were celebrating my birthday.

I felt I was going around in circles. I felt dizzy. I was looking for my Dad. He was at work but Mom mentioned that he was on his way.

It has been an hour or so.

 "Mommy!" I called out for my Mom as I walked inside the kitchen. She was standing by the kitchen table, holding my baby brother, Toby, in one arm, while holding her phone with the other.

"Mommy, when is Daddy coming home?" I asked.

"I'm sure he'll be home soon sweetie so let's just wait a bit longer. Go and play with your friends for a bit." Mom said and I nodded before walking away, looking for my friends, Edward and Heather.

As I was playing with Heather and Edward, all of the sudden, Mom called out my name.

"Aurora!" It startled me.

Looking up at her, I remembered the sudden pain and panic in her teary eyes and on her face as well.

She gently grabbed my hand, "Honey, I'm sorry but we need to go to the hospital."

Madeline, one of Mom's friends, walked into the living room with Toby in her arms. 

"Elizabeth, what's going on?" She asked my Mom.

"Nathan got into a car accident and he's in the emergency room and I have to go and I need to take Aurora with me." Mom explained, her voice trembling.

"Hey, I'll take care of the kids and call their parents. I'll explain everything. Now go." Madeline said.

"Thank you," Mom spoke. "Let's go now, sweetie." Mom pulled me away and we walked towards the door. Mom quickly grabbed her car keys then we walked out of the house.

We got inside the car and Mom started the car engine then she drove off.

As we were on our way to the hospital, I remembered hearing my Mom mumbling the same words on repeat.

"Please be okay."

"Please be okay." 

"Please be okay."

Over and over again, to the point, I lost count.

I could have said something but I couldn't.

I was scared, confused, and worried at the same time.

My heart was pounding. I can even hear it in my head.

I was just a kid at that time. I didn't know anything better.

Looking down, my hands were shaking and sweating.

I rubbed my hands together, trying my best to stay calm. Then I wiped the sweat off from my hands with the skirt of my dress.

The same dress my Dad bought for me as a gift, a day before my birthday. I remembered he told me that he saved the best gift for last and he'll give it to me on the day of my birthday party.

We arrived at the hospital and as soon as Mom parked, she quickly turned off the car engine and we head out of the car, on our way to the emergency room.

I really don't like the emergency rooms. 

For some reason, I'm scared of them.

We looked around the emergency room. Mom was holding my hand and she was trembling.

"Nathan?" Mom spoke.

I looked around the emergency room once more and I spotted Dad, he was unconscious and he was covered in blood and a nurse was trying to revive him.

At that moment, I froze.

"Nathan?" Mom spoke again.

I looked at her and tears started rolling down her face.

I let go of her hand and she walked toward him but one of the nurses stopped her.

My heart pounded once more and I felt a heavy weight on my chest. 

From the corner of my eye, I saw something blue.

I looked and it was a small blue box with my name on it.

I slowly walked towards the small blue box and picked it up.

My name was engraved in gold on the box, there was some blood on it and then I opened it.

It was a gold heart necklace.

All of a sudden... I heard a long beep from the machine.

The nurse stopped and the doctor checked the watch on his wrist.

"Time of death..." The doctor spoke.

"Time of death?" Mom spoke. "What do you mean time of death? He's not dead!"

"I'm so sorry for your loss, truly I am." The doctor said before giving her some space.

"Nathan? Honey, please wake up. " Mom said, her voice trembling once more. "Don't leave us. What are we gonna do without you?"

I walked toward Mom, who pulled me in a tight embrace.

She started crying and I started crying too.

"Daddy?" I spoke. The awful feeling in my chest became heavier. 

"Daddy, please wake up. Please! Let's go home!" I said and I cried and cried.

My Mom and I cried together.

He was supposed to go home safe and sound.

We were supposed to play and laugh.

We were supposed to be together, singing happy birthday.

I didn't get to say that I love him again.

He wasn't supposed to leave us like this.

I won't be able to hear his voice or see his smile anymore.

My world turned black and white.

I looked out the window for a while.

It started to rain.

It was like Dad was crying with us.

And I claimed that day, became the most painful day of my life.

Or so I thought. 

Edited on: 09/20/2021

Update - edited on: 10/02/2022