🔪 Chapter 23: Hospitalized (UPDATED)

Edited on: 09/21/2021

Updated on: 07/11/2023

Aurora's POV

The next morning came and I was just sitting on my bed, hugging my knees, looking out from my window. I should be in school today but I don't feel like it. My best friend is in the hospital, almost got killed last night, and how am I supposed to go to school and pretend nothing happened?

I heard someone knocking on my door and I didn't open my mouth. I just remain still like a statue. A sad statue.

I heard the doorknob clicked and I quickly averted my gaze towards the door. It's just my Mom.

"Hey sweetie, just checking up on you." She said as she walk towards the bed and sit down. "Still not changing your mind about going to school today?"

I let out a sigh. "Mom, I don't want to go to school. I just want to check up on Heather and see if she's okay. " I said and my throat feels dry as well as my lips. "I thought you're going to work."

"Well, I decided to take the day off.  I can't just leave you here all alone since you don't want to go to school. If I'm at work and I just leave you alone, I don't think I can focus on my work." She said. "And you didn't have any breakfast, do you want me to bring it up here?"

"I don't want to eat anything. I just want to go to the hospital and check on my best friend. I'm worried about her." I said and I can feel tears in my eyes as I continue staring outside the window.

"Well, since it's a bit early... how about we'll take a joyride for a while then I'll take you to the hospital, is that okay?" She suggested.

I turn to look at her and nodded. She smiles and leans forward to place a kiss on my forehead.

"Okay, get yourself dress and I'll wait for you." She said before getting off the bed and left the room.

I drag myself out of the bed and get myself ready. I took a hot bath around 2 in the morning while crying my eyes out so I just need to change my clothes. I just grab a sweater, a thick jacket, a pair of pants, and my black shoes.

After I get myself ready, I grab my phone and head out of my room and walk down the stairs.

I saw Mom sitting on the couch and I called out to her. She spotted me and gets up from the couch and grabs the keys on the side table.

We walk out of the house and get inside the car. Then we buckle up and Mom started the car engine before driving off.

"Um, Mom... can we buy a 'get well' gift for Heather?" I asked.

"Of course, sweetie. I'm sure she would like that." She said.

I nodded and look out from the car window. We passed by a couple of houses and trees and then something caught my eye. I could have sworn I saw someone, wearing a dark hoodie and just standing there. Wait... it looks familiar.

"Mom, stop the car," I said. Then she hit the brakes and I roll down my window. I stick my head out and the person wearing a hoodie just disappeared.

"What is it Aurora, did you see something?" Mom asked as I stick my head back inside and roll the car window up.

"Nothing. It's nothing." I said.

I can feel my Mom staring at me worriedly before driving off again but I just pretend to ignore it.

__

We already bought a gift for Heather and Mom just parked her car in the parking lot right in front of the hospital building.