🔪 Chapter 27: Unraveled Past (UPDATED)

Edited on: 09/21/2021

Updated on: 07/15/2023

Aurora's POV

I get up from the ground, with the journal in one hand, and walk back home. On my way, I could see the ambulance and the police driving off. I let out a sigh and wipe off a tear that just runs down my cheek.

I saw Mom entering the house and I quickly catch up to her.

"Mom!" I called out. She turns around and opens the door wide so I can let myself in.

"Where were you?" She asked, closing the door behind her.

"That... really doesn't matter," I said. "I'm going upstairs to my room." Before I got the chance to walk up the stairs, Mom gently grabs my arm and gives me the 'we need to talk' face.

Letting out a sigh, she motioned me to sit down on the couch. I put the journal beside me and cross my legs.

"Aurora, I know you're not being yourself for a while and I don't understand why you won't tell me what's going on. " She spoke, as I look down at my pale hands as they slightly shake uncontrollably and I hope Mom doesn't notice them.

"In what way I am... not myself?" I asked.

"You don't have much of an appetite, you're losing a bit of weight, your skin has gotten pale, you're more quiet than usual and you don't go to school anymore." She finished. "There's obviously something wrong with you."

"It's just... you know the whole Steven thing the other day and today is just very all of the sudden," I said.

Mom let out a sigh. A frustrated yet low sigh. "And you're not going to tell me anything else?"

I gulped. My hands continue to shake and I turn to look at her. "Mom... you've seen how Steven treated me lately."

"I know that his behavior nowadays is unacceptable but... I just want to know if... that was the only time he slapped or hit you or anything." She said and flashes of memories came running in my head like time-lapse. Tears threatened to come out at the corners of my eyes while biting my bottom lip.

I shake my head... 'no'.

"Wait, did he hit you or hurt you before?" She asked, holding onto my hands. "Aurora, tell me, please!"

I gulped and gritted my teeth before opening my mouth.

"While you guys were away... and whenever it was just the two of us, he would slap me whenever I did something wrong or whenever I didn't do what he asked me to do!" I sobbed, tears staining my face.

"Aurora, why you didn't tell me sooner?" Mom said as I sniffled.

"He told me not to tell anyone... I want to Mom, I really do, but... I was so scared of what he's going to do next if I do." I quickly wipe away the tears that just fell from my eyes but new tears continued to prick out of my eyes.

Mom pulls me into a tight hug. "I'll have a talk with him and I'll tell his Dad about this."

I break the hug and I started shaking in fear. "No, no, no, no, Mom, don't! Please!"

"Sweetie, he needs to face the consequences of his actions. This is clearly unacceptable and way out of line." She said.

"But he might hurt you and I don't want you to end up getting hurt," I said, still shaking in fear as my hands tremble. "It would be my fault."

"He won't, I promise. And I'll make sure that he won't hurt you again." She said before pulling me into another hug. "And it will never be your fault, do you hear me? Never."