🔪 Chapter 22: Sleepover Gone Wrong (UPDATED)

Edited on: 09/21/2021

Updated on: 07/10/2023

Please Read! Trigger Warning: Mention of sharp object (knife) and mention of blood

This chapter contains mentions of sharp object (knife) and mention of blood that may be upsetting for some readers. Please proceed at your own risk or you can skip to the next chapter.

Aurora's POV

I hopped inside the car and Mr. Anderson started the car engine. I wave goodbye at Mom and Toby before Mr. Anderson starts driving off. I told him the complete address and he nodded.

A few minutes passed and it's been awfully quiet. Mr. Anderson kept his eyes on the road and I just kept on fidgeting my fingers and looking out the window. We never had one conversation. Just small talk and that's it.

"So, how are you feeling these days?" He spoke all of a sudden.

"Um... I'm fine." I said. "Why?"

"Oh nothing, it's just that... I'm worried about you." To be honest, I didn't expect that, coming from him. "We're both worried. You don't eat much which resulted in you losing some weight, I noticed that your skin has gotten paler and you got some dark circles under your eyes which I assumed that you don't sleep much."

I look at him and blink my eyes several times. Even though he's not my real dad, I didn't expect him to be that worried about me.

"Oh, you noticed?" I asked.

"Yeah. This is not because of school or the new environment or... Steven, right? Does he make you feel uncomfortable in some ways?"

I wish I could tell him everything but there's just something that holds me back yet I don't know what it is.

All I know is that I'm a fucking coward.

"Um... no. " That's all I can say. And I can feel a heavy feeling in my chest. Am I going to cry again?

"Oh...okay. Well if he tries to do something and you're uncomfortable, just tell me. I'll take care of it." He said.

"Thanks... I guess." I replied.

"I may be your stepdad Aurora, but... I do care for you and I treat you as my own." He looks at me and smiles as I return the gesture. "And I could never replace your Dad."

__

An hour passed and I saw Heather's house. Mr. Anderson stopped right in front of the house and I unbuckle my seat before opening the car door.

"Thanks for the drive," I said.

"Sure, just call me and I'll be here as soon as possible. Have fun." He said and I nodded before heading out of the car.

I close the car door and he drives off. Turning around, I walk towards the door and text Heather that I've just arrived.

A few seconds later, the door swung open, and Heather greeted me by giving me a tight hug.

"Hey, Heather. " I hug her back as I giggle.

"So glad we're doing this, you're the first one to arrive." She said and we enter the house. She closes the door behind her and leads me to the living room. One of the couches was being moved to the side, leaving a big space in the center of the living room and there are blankets and soft pillows everywhere.