🔪 Chapter 17: The Attic (UPDATED)

Edited on: 09/21/2021

Updated on: 05/30/2023

Aurora's POV

I woke up and the first thing I saw was the ceiling. The light bulb is not on. Blue atmospheric lighting cascaded in from the window. 

I slowly sit up and my eyes suddenly widen as soon as I took note of the room.

I recognized the soft grey colored walls and those white curtains... I look down and I touch the softness of the black velvet blanket. I'm not in my own room.

This is Steven's room! 

He must have carried me all the way here while I'm asleep. I look around the room and then look to my right and the space is empty.

Looking under the covers, I'm glad I'm still in my costume. I let out a shaky sigh of relief and rub my knuckles onto my eyes.

'DING DING'

That's my phone and I tilted my head a bit.

Grabbing my phone, I drag my feet off the bed and I can feel the fuzzy fabric of the carpet.

I turn on my phone and the brightness of the screen just made me shut my eyes and blink until my eyes are fully awake again. I squint my eyes a bit and it's a text message from Heather, saying that she'll return my shoes and get her things on Monday.

I didn't bother to reply back so I just turn off my phone, grab my stuff and get off the bed. As soon as I open the door, I came face to face with Steven.

"Well good morning to you, sweetie. Did you sleep well?" He spoke with that ridiculous smirk on his face.

I just rolled my eyes and I have no time for this. I just want to go back to my bedroom, lock myself in there and sleep for the whole day.

"Aren't you going to say 'good morning' back?" He said and it's like I can feel his shadow towering over me.

I let out a sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "Where's my Mom?"

"Oh, your Mom and my Dad won't be here until midnight because of work and Toby is at a friend's house, having a little playdate." He answered as he caresses my cheek. "So it's just you and me for the day."

I pull my head away from his hand and I just walk past him and walk towards my room.

"I'm gonna let that slide just this once Aurora!" He shouted and I just ignore him. I twist and open the door to my room and lock it before throwing my stuff and they ended up on the floor.

I put my phone on top of my side table and take off my blazer. But first, I dig into one of the pockets and I can feel my heart beating faster. It was empty. I check the other pocket and it's empty as well. 

The business card that the detective gave me is gone. 

Steven must have taken it.

Should I just call or text Eddie if he could send me the number of the detective, even if it might make him concerned or worried?

Maybe I should and I'll just tell him that I lost it and I need the number, just incase.

I grab my phone and try to call Eddie.