16: Jimin's Vendetta

**

You swing your head around slowly- Tentatively, hoping not to be burned by an angry Jimin. You almost wish you could close your eyes and hide behind your hands like a child. But you didn't think that would be helpful, as much as it was desirable. So you breathe in, straighten up, raise your chin, and get ready, you turn.

Jimin stands opposite you, body in front of the doorway, eyes trained on you. You stand, smaller than him, and struggle to not feel intimidated.

Jimin talks carefully as if he has every word planned, 'I'm not here to apologise- I stand by what I said.'

You weren't surprised, but you were tired and worn out, you didn't have the energy to spar with him again. 'Jimin-'

'No Y/N listen.' He cuts across you- Evidently, he had something he had to say, wearily you let him continue.

'You are a danger. You cannot look me in the eyes and say that is not true.'

He pauses and looks directly at you, his normally warm eyes cold and hooded as they gaze at you, swirling full of emotion that you cannot read.

And oh, you wished so much that you could give him a different answer...

But you couldn't.

Dropping your shoulders you don't bother to argue, Jimin was right.

'No I can't.'

And that was the answer Jimin must have expected, the answer he knew would ensure he won this fight.

'I am not doing this to hurt you, I'm doing this for my family, I will always protect them and if they can't see how dangerous you are, then I need to. I have to see you for who you are, and all that you bring with you- Your connections, your past...

That is why you cannot stay.'

Tears threaten to prick behind your lashes and you fight to push them back, you will not let him see you cry.

'I understand, Jimin, what you are saying in words, but only that. I cannot sympathise, empathise or relate... Because I do not remember my family, I don't know what it is to be protected, to fight for the ones you love.' Your words, so bitterly true, burn your lips as you speak them.

'But I can try to imagine what it must feel like.' Your breath catches and your palms grow sweaty as you reveal some of your pain.

Jimin's words, they didn't offend you- Maybe they should of. But instead, they only hurt you.

Because they were a painful reminder of everything that you never had, that he does.

Family. Love. Protection.

And that hurts your more than Jimin's words ever could.

You assume the conversation is over, and it is time for you to carry on packing. Jimin had let Jungkook leave so that he could to tell you to go, to slip away now and never come back.

So you turn, but as you do a voice cuts through the silence.

'Y/N, wait.'

You turn back numbly and face a very conflicted Jimin.

His posture and aura are still dark and dangerous. But as he looks at your small form there is a glimpse of something there that wasn't before. Dare you say, a small sign of compassion?

He struggles to form his words, and you wait, baited, to see what stinging remark he will pass.

'You don't need to leave, I won't make you. I know you have nowhere to go...' He pauses. 'Plus Jungkook wouldn't forgive me.' Of course, this isn't him being kind to you, that was no compassion you saw.

'What, so I stay, and you watch my every move? Because as you said, you can't trust me'.

He doesn't shrink at your words, but he does shrug and look slightly guilty, 'Truthfully, I stand by what I said, but some of it was too harsh- Like that.'

You blink and wait for him to continue, you know he will. 'Like Jungkook said, most of that argument, was just me and Yoongi, and our um...'

He trails off, you're not quite sure where it was going. But you have an idea from what you have learned about Jimin- Protective, loving, and fierce Jimin.

Even now he still doesn't apologise, because in Jimin's mind, he did what he had to do to protect those close to him.

'Just so you know, I know my hyungs, they all appreciate the fact you trusted them and they looked pained at your story, even if they hid it behind there expressions'.

Jimin seems to struggle to tell you that last piece, and you think, maybe a part of him is confused, by their empathy, where he can only see trouble, they see a fighter, in need of safety.

'I'm going now, we have a meeting.' Jungkook had told you about that, they were discussing their next album, it was only in the beginning stages, but Jungkook seemed excited to start the crazy few months ahead.

'Don't misplace the chance I'm giving you for trust, I do this because I upset Yoongi and everyone... Not for you.' Jimin mutters his last words as he leaves you.

You sighed, life was hard sometimes, 'Okay,' you whisper to his disappearing back.

Watching him leave, you realise that actually, you admire how fiercely protective he is over his family, you never had that. You realise you know him better than before now. He doesn't have some weird vendetta against you, in fact, it's not about you at all, it's about the people he loves, and their safety.

Falling backward in defeat you let out a long breath you didn't know you had been holding. Needed comfort you crawl over to the large pillows, and curling up on Jungkook's floor, wrapped up in his soft blanket, you start to feel secure, and clutching the sheet around you that bit more tightly, you try not to cry.

Because really you couldn't blame Jimin, if you had a family you know you would be just as cut-throat when it came to their safety. And that thought almost kills you, that you can't hate Jimin, because what he is protecting, is the one thing you had stolen from you in the cruellest way possible, family.

Perhaps it would have calmed you to realise that soon, you would get to feel a part of a family of your own again, a feeling you had long forgotten, made of seven boys and one bond.

Settling down to sleep alone your thoughts run wild.

**