15. Eight Little Letters

"Hell no," 

I fight Thomas over control the radio of his Ferrari 488 spider as we drive to the Urth Caffe in downtown LA. The new heavy bass track Maxx and I just released today had started playing and while he was trying to change it, I had to fight to swat his hand away. 

"Why don't you want to support your boyfriend?!" I yell at him over the wind that was coming into the car through the open top. I let him win our war as he changes it using the steering wheel. 

"Because I don't like my boyfriend's other boyfriend!" he yells back and I sit back in my seat with a small pout.

"Maxx isn't my boyfriend,"  I say as he reaches a stop light and turns to me.

"What is he then?" Thomas asks and I rake my fingers through my hair.

"I dunno, a fun side hoe?" I shrug and Thomas rolls his eyes, 

"Oh wow! What a great throwback to match my opinion of Maxx," 

The Hills by The Weeknd was playing and I turned up while singing and dancing along to it while Thomas laughed at my awkward octopus dance.

I only call you when it's half past five
The only time I'd ever call you mine

I only love it when you touch me, not feel me
When I'm fucked up, that's the real me

When I'm fucked up, that's the real me, babe

"This was my theme song in my glory days," I lament as the song winds down to the end and I place my arms behind my head, leaning back into the seat while watching the shocked faces of all we passed. 

They were either admiring the car or us and no matter the reason, it was always pretty funny to see. 

"Why the past tense?" Thomas asks as he turns into the front of the cafe where there was a single available parking space.

"The nugget, Wes, you," I list my reasons and he turns off the car, tilting his head towards me. 

"But mostly you," I sigh as we hold eye contact and he shakes his head, grabbing his keys.

"Stop bullshitting me," He says and gets out of the car. I raised my brow in confusion because that was nowhere near the reaction I was expecting. 

That was different. 

"You're over thinking what I said earlier," 

The man reads my mind as we waited for our food and he took a sip of his cappuccino, ruining the perfectly good latte art. I stared at my little rose and rested my chin in the palm of my hand.

"No," 

I lied, taking a sip of the delicious decaf expresso.

"Matty, I told you to cut the bullshit because we both know Wes is more important to you than me. I'm like 3rd in your little pyramid. I don't care, trust me, I just don't want you to... I don't...I dunno,"