27. Hopeless Romantic In Disguise

^MIKA/ APPA

We switched the headphones and now it was dad sitting there, unable to hear what Appa was saying as he listened to Spanish music.

"Was he talking shit about me? I felt it in his glare," Appa accuses dad and I shake my head.

"I can't tell you what he said but I'm going to ask you the same questions I asked him. Ready?" I ask and he nods.

"Ready as I'll ever be," He says and I switch back to the first question.

"List three words that describe dad," I start and Appa thinks for a little bit.

"Umm, dependable, loving, and my soulmate," He says with only a moments pause.

"If there was one thing you could change about Dad, what would it be?" Kai asked next and Appa sat back in his chair.

"I would take away Pierce's chronic depression because it's hurt him so much. He has his good days and his bad days but I can tell when he's trying to hide the bad days from me. It makes me so sad because there's not a lot I can do other than go along with it and pretend I don't see it. But I always do and when they come I just try to cuddle him a little closer and tell him not to work as hard,"

Appa explains and I was in shock. I never knew my father suffered from depression, I guess it's one of those things you don't really learn about your parents until you reach a certain age.

"Okay, how did you know Dad was the one?" I asked but this time, Appa refuses to take his eyes off his husband.

"Your father and I have been through a lot together. I went back and forth for the longest time as to whether or not he was the one for me." He says and pauses for a bit before continuing.

"When I met him, I had my head under a counter, getting some cleaning supplies so I could lock up the coffee shop I was working at. All he said was hello but my heart went like...poof," Appa was so cute as he did this huge explosion with his hands and Dad gave him the weirdest look.

"He came by a few times after that little encounter and every time I was a mess. Like my heart was pounding, my voice was shaking, I always messed up his coffee in some way shape or form but he always laughed it off,"

"But I also had a boyfriend at the time, a real big jerk who wasn't that nice. On the night I finally broke up with him, I sat outside the coffee shop and was crying my eyes out when this dude came out of nowhere. He pulled up next to me on a motorcycle then walked up to me and said something like 'come with me,'" Appa tried to copy our father's super deep voice but ended up sounding like a pedo Teletubby instead and I was laughing so hard that I nearly collapsed on the floor.

"And like the idiot I am, I went with this strange man in the middle of the night, riding on a motorcycle for the first time where he took me into the middle of the woods and onto this cliff. Then he kissed me. Well, words were said in between but he kissed me and I almost hopped off the cliff cause the tingly feeling was too strong with this one," Appa giggled.

"After that, we dated for a few years, we even got engaged but shit happened and I left him...the moment I walked out that door, I wished I had stayed." He admitted and the room went silent.

"You're talking for an awfully long time. I hope you're not saying all this about question two," Dad chimes in and Appa gave him a small smile.

"I left him and we both moved on. I was with someone who...wasn't that great and he was with someone who made him happy. But he was riding on the motorcycle with his new fiance when they were hit by a drunk driver. Pierce survived...his fiance didn't." Appa continues and shit got dark real quick.

"We went to court and I was working as a government defense lawyer. I was assigned to defend the drunk driver who killed his fiance. The kid was only thirteen years old and I had to choose between this kid getting life in prison or doing my job. I did my job and he got off with only a year or so,"

Appa had to stop because he was choking up and rubbed his eyes as he went. My dad tried to take off the headphones but Appa held them to his head, refusing to let him take them off.

"He attempted to kill himself when he got home from the trial. I remember rushing to his house after, knowing in my heart something was wrong but when I got there the ambulances were surrounding his house and his twin brother was there. Thankfully Peter and his husband got there just before his heart stopped and saved him but..."

Appa, leans back once he's sure dad still has the headphones in place and wipes the tears from his eyes.

"But he was in a coma for an entire year. I felt so guilty that I stayed by his side every day. I visited him, took care of Tae and Clara for him, I sang to him, I prayed for him. Then when he finally woke up he forgot who I was,"

"And for the next two months, while he was in physical therapy, I continued to support him every single day because I made a promise from day one that I was never going to leave his side again until the day I die. I didn't care if I was there as his friend or his lover but I was going to be there one way or another no matter what,"

"Then he remembered who I was and on the night he told me his amnesia was gone he took me to the cliff where we had our first kiss and he proposed to me. Then two weeks later we were getting married. On the night of our wedding we found out you two existed and I was pregnant and the rest is history,"

He sighs lovingly and takes off Dad's headphones, slipping them off his ears along with his earbuds and gives him a long peck on the lips.

"I love you," Appa says and Dad looked super confused but kisses him again and said,

"I love you too," dad says and kissed the tip of Appa's nose, wiping his little tears away with the sleeves of his shirt.

"One day, I hope all of you experience a love as great as this one and can share that love with your children too," Appa giggles.

I wish the story I had to tell my baby was as beautiful as my parent's love story, but at this point I knew it would never compare.

The tears were streaming down my cheeks and I started to get started to get dizzy and nauseous. Thomas quickly picks up on it and guides me down to a chair, striking concern in everyone's heads, especially my Appa as he quickly comes up to me and tilts my chin to meet his gaze.

"Tell me what's wrong baby," he begs and I was choking on my own tears like a gasping idiot.

"I'm p-p-pregnant," 

***************

For anyone interested in ^That love story, its a completed book called Dear Taehyung.