44. A Spoonful of Sugar

"What the fuck are you talking about? What's your real name then?"

I asked and Wesley or who I thought was Wesley shrugs his shoulders and looks at the pictures of Jaydean's little toes.

"I don't know Matthias," He sighs and flips the page of the book to look at more photos.

"Who are you?" I demand and he pauses touching the last 4D sonogram. 

"It's complicated and you would never believe me," he grunts and I close the book on his hand causing him to yelp out.

"Try me, bitch. You're the father of my unborn daughter, I need to know you're not some psychopath," I question and Thomas lazes around on the couch, listening to our conversation while scrolling through his social media. 

"Now you're being dramatic. I'm not a psychopath," He says and pushes my hand away.

"What's your real name then?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"I can't tell you it's classified in British Government's Top Secrets. I like Wesley a lot better anyway," He says, refusing to decode the real message he was trying to tell me.

I narrowed my eyes at him but Wes or whatever his name actually is looked completely unaffected by my demeaning gaze. 

"When is she due?" He asked, moving on as if he said nothing that could possibly indicate he was involved in some kind of spy work or something.

"Tomorrow," I told him and his eyes opened wide.

"Wow, so she really is healthy huh?" He mentions and I defensively rub my stomach. She wasn't bouncing around as much now but it was hard to imagine a world where she's suddenly just here. 

"Thomas," Wesley calls out my fiance's name and he perks up a bit, looking over his phone in curiosity.

"Hmm?" Thomas responds and Wesley visibly gulps.

"Thank you for taking care of my daughter," He says and I instantly clenched my fist into tight balls. Thomas laughs and sits up on the couch, standing and walking over to the table. I could almost smell the testosterone the two were producing as if they were wolves fighting over their territory. 

"Your daughter? She's my daughter too, you dimwit," Thomas chimes in and I wanted to say something but a sharp pain suddenly contracts against my entire abdominal wall. 

"Really? Because I'm pretty sure she's not going to come out looking like you," Wesley prods and Thomas grips the collar of Wesley's borrowed sweatshirt.

"Guys..." I hissed under my breath as the burning only gets worse instead of better but these two idiots keep fighting. I could barely hear what they arguing about over the sound of my own heart pounding in my ears. 

"...fucking idiots," I groaned under my breath before falling to the floor and descending into blackness.

.

.

"Matty!" 

I heard someone call my name and opened my eyes to see my sweet Thomas under the bright lights dressed in pink scrubs.

"Matty you're awake!" He yells over the loud noise and I feel like I'm being rolled on something. 

A cart. 

No.

A gurney.

I tried to move my head but my body was too weak so I was stuck staring at Thomas. It was calming actually, to see his face. But why did he look so worried and concerned?

"Matthias, you're going to be okay!" Another familiar voice shouted and jogging alongside Thomas was another man in all pink scrubs. This one was far scrawnier than my Thomas and it took me a while before I realized it was Wesley. 

"Who's the father?" I heard a voice cry out and both men shouted, 'I am,' at the same time.

"Only one of you can go in with him, who's next of kin," the voice cried again and this time it was Wesley who hung back and let Thomas continue. 

I used all the strength I had left to reach out and gip his hand as tight as I could before slipping into the darkness again. 

.

.

.

I was hazy, woozy, and slightly nauseous when I opened my eyes again. Looking up at a bright OR light, I instantly turned my head to shade my eyes only to find the blurry image of Thomas Jackson standing beside me. Completely shirtless, with a tiny little pale human pressed to his dark chest. 

I couldn't move a thing, my entire body felt like led as I tried to reach out my arms but it was no use. 

I started to think it was a dream.

Until Thomas came closer and hunched down, cradling the tiny baby like she was the most fragile object in the universe.

"Look Jaydean, your mommy's right here. See? He's just a little tired. It's okay baby girl, daddy's got you," Thomas cooed and I heard our daughter's cries for the first time. 

And they were beautiful.

"Matthias, I don't know if you can hear me, but she's perfect," He tells me and I wanted to cry tears of joy but was unable too.

"She has a full head of hair and it looks like it's got tints of red to it, her eyes are so light and pretty, she's beautiful," he says as he kisses my forehead and my entire body was screaming to move and hold my beautiful baby that I spent so much time and effort making. 

"Quick! He's crashing! Get the baby out of here! Code blue! He's losing too much blood!"